Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off i am sorry for all the new fish questions,but you folks have alot of good advice and experience with pirahnas. the place i got mine just know they are pirahna,and if i followed thier advice i would have spent alot of money on useless stuff thanks for all to good topics!!!!ok i had 4 pirahnas about thumb nail size in a 20gal they grew rather fast,and one became food
so i decided to get a 75 gal tank(it is the biggest tank i could fit in the front room) i could have gone bigger but not in a room i spend alot of time in.anyways while the remaining 3 rbps were in the 20gal i set up a 75 gal . i only filled it to 55 gal i added ground cover,new heater,and a rena xp3 filter with biostars ,and ceramic stones for the bacteria i waited for it to get to proper temp . it took 1 day. i then added all gravel from the 20 to the 75,and moved the p's to a bucket with the filter,and 10gallons from the 20 and 10 gal from the 75. let them sit for a little bit ,and then proceeded to move the bio wheel from the 20 gal to the 75gal,and then added the fish with salt .i also added cycle for 3 days. i have kept the tank kind of clean,and tested water 1 every 2 days.the ph level is lower in the 75( 7.6) than i was in the 20 (8.0)p's have shown no problems with anything now my

nitrites are between <0.3 & 0.3mg/l
ammonia is between 0.25 &1.5 mg/l it is very close to the 0.25mg/l end of the spectrum
ph 7.6
nitrates were 50
gh was fine
kh is a tad high
co2 is 3.7

i have no live plants ,and am not sure if the hardness tests are that important for me, but my other readings have raised from nothing to what they are now. is this the beginning of my tank cycling? or is it a problem? the shop i get alot of my fish from think it is starting to cycle,as i added a bit more cycle to the water than normal,and also moved all the stuff from the 20 gal to the 75 gal. i know this post is long,but i am a worry wart,and my p's are part of the family . my daughter says good morning to them every morning haha.

thanks

vince

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes your tank is cycling your p's should be fine. next time make sure u cycle before you add the fish its the best way to go unless u had abcolutely no options but good luck with the new tank man
i wish i had a choice the 20gal was cracked by my dog whipping a toy around. should do a water change or get some stuff to lower ,or correct these water issues? or should i just keep a close eye on things? i really do not want to lose any p's. they seem to be doing ok thus far. would bio spira help?

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
yes your tank is cycling your p's should be fine. next time make sure u cycle before you add the fish its the best way to go unless u had abcolutely no options but good luck with the new tank man
i wish i had a choice the 20gal was cracked by my dog whipping a toy around. should do a water change or get some stuff to lower ,or correct these water issues? or should i just keep a close eye on things? i really do not want to lose any p's. they seem to be doing ok thus far. would bio spira help?
[/quote]

Bio spira would definitely help. You can also either try to get some established media from your lfs and put it in your filter, or add some salt and a good conditioner such as amquel plus and wait things out. You can do partial water changes to dilute the ammonia/nitrite concentration.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bio spira would definitely help. You can also either try to get some established media from your lfs and put it in your filter, or add some salt and a good conditioner such as amquel plus and wait things out. You can do partial water changes to dilute the ammonia/nitrite concentration.
would'nt the partial water changes cause the cycle to take longer? i used cycle for the tank. are you saying use a conditioner like prime? is that what amquel is? where would i put the bio spira. i am new to these names and products

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.