·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the difference if you may???

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
Bascially behavior and coloration. Tank bred P. nattereri are quite skittish (not sure if wilds would be much better), and the coloration on tank breds is 'bleached' out when compared to wild caught specimens.
~Taylor~

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
Wild reds are way better IMO. When I first got wild reds, they were all 3", and would all come to the top of the water and rip fillets out of my hand.

·
Registered
775 Posts
So wild reds are less skittish? If you put some wilds in with tank raised would it caues the tankers to be less skittish?

·
Registered
652 Posts
it might but if you want that just throw in a couple cariba they will help out with reds being not so skittish but good luck thats just how reds are little pussies lol but i have noticed that as they get older and bigger they are more agrressive in a way and a lot less skittish or shy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i have 1 tank breed and 6 wild and the only diff i see is def. the color and also the coming to the top to feed, but i have noticed that the tank breed is learning to top feed from the others but it has only been a week since they have been together.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
I assume you are meaning the pygocentrus nattereri. There are many differences between wild and bred in captivaties. wild reds tend to have a more brilliant red color, and the onces bed in captivity. They also tend to be more aggresive. there are more sub-species of the pygocentrus Nattereri. There are the super red or snakeskin piranha found in Northern brazil. These piranha are called super reds because they have a more beautiful red coloration then the usual normal reds. They also have a snakskin pattern on back of the flanks. People claim these fish are also more aggresive then the average red. Aggresion problem are due to the fish's personalities. Ternezis are also a variation of the Pygocentrus Nattereri and scientist are having a discusion weather they should have there own species name. But they are the same as a red..they just have different color....

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a million im going to pick up a couple Snakeskins :D

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
it might but if you want that just throw in a couple cariba they will help out with reds being not so skittish but good luck thats just how reds are little pussies lol but i have noticed that as they get older and bigger they are more agrressive in a way and a lot less skittish or shy.
not exactly tru young one....i got 2 reds in my tank, they were pretty skittish, added in 4 badass caribe...still pretty skittish if you ask me..when they get older IMO they get lazier, so way less aggressive id say, and they're not really skittish cus they dont give a crap about anything lol

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
So wild reds are less skittish? If you put some wilds in with tank raised would it caues the tankers to be less skittish?
it all depends on the dominate fish, if it is skittish, then the whole tank will be.
if he or she is not, then the tank will not be, most likley skittish will prevail, its
the path of least resistance

·
Innes is da Man!
5,907 Posts
Bascially behavior and coloration. Tank bred P. nattereri are quite skittish (not sure if wilds would be much better), and the coloration on tank breds is 'bleached' out when compared to wild caught specimens.
~Taylor~
as well some cases wild are usually more agressive thean tank bred

1 - 17 of 17 Posts