Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking to keep 3 red belly piranha, thing is, the tank will be in my room, and space is limited. I have seen poeple being recommended a 55 gallon tank but most of these are 4 foot long, which is a little too big, would a 3ft, ie 36x12x15 big enough for 3 piranhas or am i best going for the 4 foot tank?
Sorry if this q seems a bit obvious i'm a bit of a novice with large fish!
Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
if they are babies then yes, but as they grow you will need to uprade.

my sugesstion is, if you really like P's and want to get into the hobby, go big or go home.
get a big tank, a 90, only 48"x18 usually, not that much more space than a 55 needed, but the P's can sure tell the difference. and this way you can keep 4-5 in there for life. but if you just want 3, then it just means even more space for them.

i mean how much harder is it to budge 1foot? i msure you can do it. maybe relocate where you want to put it.

and welcome to P-fury.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh i'm sure you're right Ill go to the 4ft one, jus rearrange my room a bit, lol. Ill look for a wider tank too...
I got my eye on an eheim external filter, but I am unsure is a 55gal tank US gals or UK gals? Does anyone know a conversion to litres?
Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
225 Posts
red hot mini coopers said:
Yeh i'm sure you're right Ill go to the 4ft one, jus rearrange my room a bit, lol. Ill look for a wider tank too...
I got my eye on an eheim external filter, but I am unsure is a 55gal tank US gals or UK gals? Does anyone know a conversion to litres?
Thanks
Tom
There are 3.785 liters per gallon (call it 4 for round numbers). A 55 gallon tank (about 48"x12"x18"tall) is about 208 liters.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If space is too limited for a 4ft tank then don't get any Pygos. Cramming 3 P's in a tank less than 55g would most likely result in your P's killing each other not to mention how terrible it would look with 3 big ass fish in a tank with no room to move. If I could only have a 3ft tank I would get a spilo (I'm assuming this tank you have or are getting is at least 30g) From what I've read on this site, you could keep a spilo in there for life.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
as stated above...u may want to look into getting a solitary piranha.

what is more interesting to you?

a shoal of three reds or a single piranha?

·
Registered
527 Posts
And dont forget the golden rule!

you should allow 20g per fish (15g at the max, but not recommended).

So IMO 60g tank would suffice, but obviously the bigger the better it is for your fish

Good luck and welcome!!!

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
The bigger the better pal, get the 4 foot long...
!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've also heard stories that solitary piranha become very confident and lose all that skitishness. I've seen many posts on here about single P's (ahhhhhhhh!!
), who are quite "badass!"

As it happens, im considering get a RBP for 30g tank Ive got spare.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts