Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Hey guys...we're doing some tank swapping in the house and are considering taking the 29 gal bow from my signature and turning it into saltwater. From what ive read, the bow front tanks make the best SW setups.

No idea what types of fish we want to house...maybe a few clownfish etc.. Definately want some live rock and corals.

Question is:
What would you reccomend i pick up (equipment wise) to make this a reality?
- Filtration? (would a fluval cannister work)
- Lighting? (what type needed)
- protein skimmer? ( i know i need this but have no clue what it is)
etc...

Thanks guys...im used to FW and housing P's, so this is a pretty big leap and i have no idea what im doing.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
ok, most of a sw tanks filtration takes place in the live rock (the more the better, IMO) as long as your fish have some swimming space.

Lighting depends on what type of corals are you looking to keep, Power compacts over that tank would get you going with easier (less light demanding) corals.

IMO, a protien skimmer is a great peice of equipment of any sw tank, once you see the junk it pulls out you will see why. Do some research you dont need a big fancy skimmer for a small, lightly stocked tank.

Also you will need powerheads, water movement is also extremely important in and sw tank as it help the water move throught the live rock and help keep debri suspending in order to be removed the skimmer/filter.

Other items that should be mentioned are, test kits, refractometer (dont even waste your time with a hydrometer), salt mix, heater, sand. etc.

Do youself a favor and do a lot of research if you have not had a saltwater tank before. The more you read the better when getting into this hobby.

hope this link is alright but there is a lot of information here in one place to get you started...any more questions ask away.

beginner information.

whoops, totally forgot this one was here as well, like i said the more information the better you will be. lol

another link.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back to me man.

About how many pounds of live rock would you suggest for my bow tank? I know you said the more the better, but if you could ball park it that would be cool. Im guessing that live rock is similar to FW plants in that regard..ie cram as many in without taking away from swimable space and making the tank look too packed.

For the lights, what type of bulb configuration should i go with? I'm a big fan of the coralife dual strip's for my FW setups. Would going with the Coralife SW strips be ok? Should i shoot for a 10,000k and actinic configuration?

Powerheads, heaters, test kits etc....all sitting around waiting for use so no problem there.
Sand i can pick up no problem.
Lastly, for the actual salt water...i know my LFS sells saltwater. Is this the way to go? Or should i mix it my self.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
If you mix it yourself you need a rodi unit. buckeye field supply has them cheap. I use them myself.
I mix my own that way i quality controll the salt and can change when needed.
1-2 lbs a gallon for liverock. I like myself around 1.5 lbs a gallon, and that leaves plenty of room. figi rock is more dense so i would go with another rock if possable you'll get more for your money.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
i agree with raptor with mixing your own saltwater, will ending up cost you a lot less in the future using your own ro/di, Plus you will also need fresh water for topping off evaporated water.

more rock the better imo, try to find stuff that is light and pourus, may cost more but is beneficial to your tank.

Your lights sound good, they make a dual spectrum daylight and actinic bulbs that I have always used when I was running pc's/

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK..thanks guys.
The girl and i are looking into it. We stopped off at the LFS last night and ended up BS'n about SW for a while. Had no idea how expensive it really is compared to FW. I think this had her doing a double take and maybe rethinking it.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Yes, SW is definitely more expensive than FW. However, the majority of the cost is up front with the purchase of equipment. Read as much as you can before buying anything. Learning (e.g. research) before hand is the best advise anyone can really give. Learn about the equipment so that you only end up buying it once. That will save you tons.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
that depends actually, equipment can be very expensive, but if your going to dive fully into reefing, the eventual stocking of corals may end up costing many times more.

I personally would recommend having a skimmer, in fact i wouldnt be without one except if its a special tank for certain species or for breeding.
Becuse the day something goes afoul in your tank, if its a dead fish, or something else, youll be glad you had one. Id recommend a HOB skimmer, they tend to be very easy to set up and maintain.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol, you have to start by showing her all the pretty fish then move onto the equipment.
lol...thats what started the whole thing...she saw the SW fish and decided Piranhas werent her favorite

Cross your fingers....im pressing a discus tank instead of SW, but i feel that ill be on here in a few weeks asking more questions about SW

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
sounds good well be waiting for you, oh btw, do the research, find out exactly what you need, ask questions, only buy things once...save a ton of money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts