Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I am thinking about placing an order with Shark Aquarium. I currently have (6) reds and (3) caribe in my 135, and I need to downsize. I would like to get rid of 5 reds, and then order 2 or 3 other piranha to add. I am considering ordering (2) 5-6" caribe and (1) 3" super (thats the only size super they have). The caribe I have are right now are about 3.5" and of course the new caribe would be around 5-6". Would a 3" super hold his own? Should I just order all caribe? I would like to keep 1 red, my 6" he is my favorite, but the possibilities are endless after that.

I know supers and caribe are compatible, but I am worried about the size difference.

I suppose if I did take out that last red, it would be a pretty killer all caribe tank

Advice and PERSONAL OPINION are very appreciated, I hear a lot of people talk about how caribe are the most aggresive and maybe that would be the coolest shoal (all caribe).

Kyle

·
Kyle's Mom Is A Big Fat Bxtch! IMO
2,094 Posts
Terns FTW!!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I have 3 caribe and 1 red I want to keep, thats 4 piranha. I could see ordering a Tern, but it seems to be a consensus, heck aquascapeonline even goes as far as to label, that the caribe is the most aggresive pygo. I feel my tank can support 6 piranha FOR LIFE. So I can only order 2 if I keep my red and 3 if I don't.

If it were 2 I could order a Piraya and tern -or- 2 caribe
If it were 3 I could order 2 Tern and a Piraya -or- 3 caribe

seems like a win/win, just such a tough decision to make

·
Kyle's Mom Is A Big Fat Bxtch! IMO
2,094 Posts
Dont believe the hype around Caribe. They are great fish, but I have both in my tank, both originally of similar size...and the Terns were more aggressive, at more, and grew the fastest...Just bc it says that on AS doesnt make it absolutely true.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
True but since studies seem to be few and far between, (if any) that seems like a bold statement without adequate support. I am starting to like the idea of 3 Terns/3 Caribe better. This is how vulnerable my decision is I am from 1 extreme to the next, keep those Personal Opinions comming, my friends won't give two sh*ts what I put in my tank, they will only see Piranha, however what I go with will remain for the duration of the 135 and will be what I can speak for on this site for years.

<edit> Also Caribe breeding is EXTREMELY rare, however it has been accomplished where as Piraya has not, so caribe breeding in my aquarium would approach impossible with the introduction of terns. But then again I am not looking to breed. Ah well. I gotta order soon, I am getting anxious as hell

kyle

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
A couple terns would be nice with your caribe..I would shy away from piraya for now simply due to their cannibalistic nature.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Kyle, I have mixed (super, tern, caribe) & a same species shoal (terns). You want my opinion (on your situation?) Since you already have caribe and plan to thin the reds, go all caribe. From experience, all caribe shoals tend to act different (more bold/"aggressive, territorial) than in mixed shoals. I think AS should've labeled them as being "most territorial". This assumption of mine is not "far-fetched". I've seen it and I know many out there can vouch.
My terns far more territorial in the mixed shoal than in the all tern shoal. In the all tern shoal, they "play fair, occassional roughhousing". Sorta like sibling rivalry.

Just my observations throughout the yrs...

Choose whichever makes YOU happy.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I am thinking about placing an order with Shark Aquarium. I currently have (6) reds and (3) caribe in my 135, and I need to downsize. I would like to get rid of 5 reds, and then order 2 or 3 other piranha to add. I am considering ordering (2) 5-6" caribe and (1) 3" super (thats the only size super they have). The caribe I have are right now are about 3.5" and of course the new caribe would be around 5-6". Would a 3" super hold his own? Should I just order all caribe? I would like to keep 1 red, my 6" he is my favorite, but the possibilities are endless after that.

I know supers and caribe are compatible, but I am worried about the size difference.

I suppose if I did take out that last red, it would be a pretty killer all caribe tank

Advice and PERSONAL OPINION are very appreciated, I hear a lot of people talk about how caribe are the most aggresive and maybe that would be the coolest shoal (all caribe).

Kyle
I have 2 caribe and 2 reds, they have had no fights at all. however i have one red thats bigger than the caribe so idk. all caribe sounds pretty cool

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

Kyle
I have 2 caribe and 2 reds, they have had no fights at all. however i have one red thats bigger than the caribe so idk. all caribe sounds pretty cool
[/quote]go all caribe that would be killer

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know at least when it comes to dogs, that they will be more violent and aggresive towards dogs of the same breed, for instance pit bulls tend to be more aggresive towards other pit bulls then say a lab. Maybe an all Caribe shoal would create more aggresion and territorialism?? (is that a word?!?!) Either way I want the shoal that when the food hits the surface it is gone, I know hunger obviously plays a role, but I do not notice much of a difference between my reds and caribe right now. If I had to place an order RIGHT now I would probably order a 3, 4, and 5" caribe.

I don't think I can order from Shark Aquarium until he gets back from his trip (January 24th? is it) I will place the order as soon as these reds are gone.

Kyle

If anyone else has experience with either mixed shoals or same shoal let me know, especially involving the Supers/Caribe/Terns

MOST AGGRESION = the one I want, all matter of opinion, so that's what I'm looking for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts