Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed for about a week now that my larger super red's red has been fading. I thought first i should give him some time it may come back, but it's been the same. He is a little under 5", gets fed very well, beefheart, shrimp, squid, steak, etc... And i do plenty of water changes. Well here's the pic let me know what you think the big one is on the right, on the left is the head of my smaller super red for comparison.

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
I had no doubt It was a possibility that it would happen. Regular natts fade, why not them? Oh well, enjoy the brilliance while it lasts. I just got 8 of these guys so I guess I'll find out in time to.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Serrapygo said:
I had no doubt It was a possibility that it would happen. Regular natts fade, why not them? Oh well, enjoy the brilliance while it lasts. I just got 8 of these guys so I guess I'll find out in time to.
All the time as far as ive noticed.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I don't think it's something to worry about: my tankraised reds (ok, that's not a 100% correct comparison, but still...) from time to time look a bit washed out as well. Usually, they have a pretty bright red belly, but from time to time, but they loose their vivid colors for a while (as in a couple of days) as well.
Maybe it's a lil' stress, a sign that a water chance is needed, maybe it's hunger (or overfeeding), maybe it's just a thing that happens naturally from time to time, I'm not sure. But it doesn't seem to affect my lil' guys one bit, and they've regained their normal coloration after a while...

One more thing I just remembered (if I recall correctly, Frank has written this sometime, somewhere): tank-kept piranha's (or fish in general, for that matter) lack certain minerals/nutrients they do find in the wild, and since diet is one of the things that affect/influence coloration, it could be that as well...

·
Registered
954 Posts
I received 2 super reds when they where about 3 inches or so. They are now 4 to 5 inches and their color has actually gotten better. I feed them catfish nuggets, shrimp, beefheart, and once every 2 weeks they get feeders. I use liquid garlic extract and some vitamin suppliments called avaitron mixed with their food(except the feeders). I have noticed that the colors in all my pygos improved and that they heal from the occasional fin nip somewhat faster. Hope this helps.

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
tank-kept piranha's (or fish in general, for that matter) lack certain minerals/nutrients they do find in the wild, and since diet is one of the things that affect/influence coloration, it could be that as well...
I agree 10,000 percent. Until someone figures out a way to mimic the Amazon....

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
tinyteeth said:
i think super reds are regular reds that had a good diet. i had regular reds that looked like supers. i think its krill and the likes that give them the bright red.
The difference between those super reds and domestic reds is that the first are wild-caught, and therefore had "acces" to certain minerals, nutrients etc. which were present in the water/food (they all come from more or less the same area in Brasil, I think). Tank-bred reds never will never come into contact with those elements, and thus lack the vivid bright red. This can be countered somewhat by feeding them shrimp, krill and color-enhancing pellets (the reason why so many reds still look great, with very bright red), but it'll always be an artificial way to maximize colors, which has nothing to do with the reasons those wild reds have such brilliant coloration.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
Judazzz said:
tinyteeth said:
i think super reds are regular reds that had a good diet. i had regular reds that looked like supers. i think its krill and the likes that give them the bright red.
The difference between those super reds and domestic reds is that the first are wild-caught, and therefore had "acces" to certain minerals, nutrients etc. which were present in the water/food (they all come from more or less the same area in Brasil, I think). Tank-bred reds never will never come into contact with those elements, and thus lack the vivid bright red. This can be countered somewhat by feeding them shrimp, krill and color-enhancing pellets (the reason why so many reds still look great, with very bright red), but it'll always be an artificial way to maximize colors, which has nothing to do with the reasons those wild reds have such brilliant coloration.
i agree with what jonas said and if you think about it if someone could take water samples of the amazon rivers these p's are from and have it analized for whatever minerals etc are in them then a additive could be made to mimic the amazon.
the only problem being is the cost with not that much return we can but dream
dixon

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Serrapygo said:
Regular natts fade, why not them? Oh well, enjoy the brilliance while it lasts.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
Judazzz said:
One more thing I just remembered (if I recall correctly, Frank has written this sometime, somewhere): tank-kept piranha's (or fish in general, for that matter) lack certain minerals/nutrients they do find in the wild, and since diet is one of the things that affect/influence coloration, it could be that as well...
exactly ...

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
i read this article from this scientist who said if you fed with natural foods like seeds, nuts, and fruits (which would drop into the river where they live) those foods gave the reds a bright flourescent red coloring. and a strict meat diet would give a darker red (not as appealing)

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
BDKing57 said:
what about the reticulated spots... normal reds dont have these.
My guess would be:
the same as differences in coloration/pattern/etc. within other animal species: for example, the common wolf has many names and appearances, but are all the same species. Adjustments to specific environments (diet, climate, waterchemistry, camouflage [sp?], etc.) cause these differences within a single species...

·
Registered
245 Posts
i've had my three super reds for a month now.. got them when they were 2-3".. and i've noticed that alot of the red is gone.. and has been like that since a week ago... not too sure y .. hopefully it wil come back

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.