Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
feeders are crap!!!!! i threw in some feeders cuple days ago to see my fish kill and such. the next day i see some tiny little things jumping around on the back wall my fish tank. yes they are jumping. sorry no pic. how can i get rid of it? what is it? they look like a small white spot jumping around. im never going to buy feeders from crap stores again.

on a good note: my Ps are doing real fine.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I don't know what they are - but I think this is your lesson as to why we all reccomend quarentining any fish you plan to add to your fish tank.

ESPECIALLY FEEDERS!!!!!!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Dang, fleas?!?!? Never heard of such.. pls post the LFS that you got it from so that others can avoid places like that. But im still thinking.. "fleas"?? The only way I can think of to get rid of fleas is getting a frog, iguana, or strip of glued tape behinde your tank..

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Also, check to see whats keeping them around that side of the tank. Might be left over food or something decaying around that spot.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Innes said:
I don't know what they are - but I think this is your lesson as to why we all reccomend quarentining any fish you plan to add to your fish tank.

ESPECIALLY FEEDERS!!!!!!
Ohh so very true with it comes to feeding feeder. Quarentining is something that should be the norm, not the exception. There is just too much risk involved with just "dumping" goldies into a prized P tank. Think like water fleas develop. Sorry man, I dont know what to tell you. I have never heard of such things before.

~Dj

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fucken taravel fish store! dont go there. i went there because i never went in there before and i wanted to get some feeders. i usually goto nippon or judah for feeders. anyhow, i will throw in some salt 2m and see how it goes. they literally seem to jump around. weird.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
You from SF eric? Nippon is a nice shop. Too expensive for me though. I prefer 6th ave aquarium on clement. Cheap as hell. Not for feeders though. Thats usually were I try to buy my fish products/supplies.

~Dj

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Actually my faverite place to get feeders when before I came down to LA for school was a shop in DALY CITY. At that ranch 99 there is a shop that specializes in Discus. They have good feeders there too. Thats when I used to live off of Gellert in DC.

~Dj

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nippon is a cool store. 6th and celment's sucks ass! their equipment is good i must say. i have to try that discus place. i pass by it everyday coming back home from school. on vacation come back to sf and we can hang out with fellow sf fish hobbyist

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Where do you go to school? Skyline?

Yeah that place im talking about near ranch 99 is actually inside the little shopping center. Its not one of those shops that you can enter from the parking lot. I think that they used to get new feeders on friday. As far as food for fish (blood worms, brine shrimp, hikari) that place was the best in the city i thought. They are expensive for other things though like equipment and fish.

~Dj

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
The suggestion they are jumping around makes me think springtails. Harmless but annoying.

Found this:

SPRINGTAILS
by Lee Townsend, Extension Entomologist
University of Kentucky Department of Entomology

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Springtails are tiny wingless insects with distinctive heads and a hump-backed appearance. Their name comes from a forked structure attached to the underside of the abdomen which acts a spring to flip them into the air. This behavior gives them the appearance of tiny fleas. Other than being a nuisance, these unique little creatures pose no threat.

Most springtails live in rich soil or leaf litter, under bark or decaying wood, or associated with fungi. Many are scavengers, feeding on decaying plants, fungi, molds, or algae. Springtails become abundant among wet leaves, soil, and plant material along a house foundations or sidewalks where they can be a temporary annoyance. One white species lives on the surface of ponds and streams can be found in drinking water from cisterns or wells. They also can occur around floor drains, in damp basements, and crawl spaces. Masses of these insects can be swept up and discarded.

Plants grown in homes and greenhouses sometimes become infested as a result of heavy breeding in the moist soil. Allowing the soil to dry out will usually eliminate them. Some species, such as the garden springtail can be found on field crops and vegetables, but they rarely cause enough damage to warrant control measures.

Most common springtails do not survive in dry conditions. Any steps to improve ventilation and promote drying are the best long term solutions. Removal of accumulations of wet leaves or other organic matter will eliminate breeding sites. Aerosol household insecticides can be used to treat infestations but will provide only temporary relief if the favorable conditions are not corrected.

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
frank, they are really small specks of white. somewhat like ick. they are also like a chip of a peice of small paint jumping around. do water lice jump. i mean these guys can jump pretty far from what i have seen. in 2-4 jump they can go almost go half way across my tank. any way to get rid of these springtails?

DJ, yups skyline is my college. planning to transfer to ucla or irvine asap.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
InSinUAsian said:
Where do you go to school? Skyline?

Yeah that place im talking about near ranch 99 is actually inside the little shopping center. Its not one of those shops that you can enter from the parking lot. I think that they used to get new feeders on friday. As far as food for fish (blood worms, brine shrimp, hikari) that place was the best in the city i thought. They are expensive for other things though like equipment and fish.

~Dj
sorry dj..that placed closed down
....and nippon is expensive but the quaility in there of there fish has gone down the drain..they use to have it really nice ..now its a mad house ...and sixth and clement is cool but they have the worst condition i have ever seened for a fish store.. ..but you can't beat there prices....hey any of you ever gone to 99 and pets in south city???

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
o snap its eric Posted on May 15 2003, 03:52 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
frank, they are really small specks of white. somewhat like ick. they are also like a chip of a peice of small paint jumping around. do water lice jump. i mean these guys can jump pretty far from what i have seen. in 2-4 jump they can go almost go half way across my tank. any way to get rid of these springtails?

DJ, yups skyline is my college. planning to transfer to ucla or irvine asap.
Note these two remarks: 1. Their name comes from a forked structure attached to the underside of the abdomen which acts a spring to flip them into the air. This behavior gives them the appearance of tiny fleas.

2. One white species lives on the surface of ponds and streams can be found in drinking water from cisterns or wells. .

I had to go back and look at some old aquario books of mine (1960's) to locate the treatment. In that old book springtails were removed by running a piece of paper over the top and inside of the glass to remove them. Evidently this action makes them stick to the paper.

If I should find anything on the internet as far as other treatment I'll let you know. But it appears this may be the safest.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
thePACK said:
but you can't beat there prices....hey any of you ever gone to 99 and pets in south city???
Sure cant. Thier conditions suck like ass, but they have HELLA FISH. Plus its the only self serve fish shop. You get everything your self. KInda cool. If I ever look for something I go there first. Many times they are cheaper the pet solutions or big als.

99 and pets in south city? Hmm, you mean ranch 99? The asian market? If so that is the one I was refering eric to. The only other pet store I have ever been too i kinda near tan foran. More toward ultra sounds ( i dontknow if you know that place). I think its on elcamino, I THINK, maybe just off it, but definately near it.

~Dj

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
but these guys dont live on the surface. well i dont see any on the surface. they are on the bottom and mid part of the aquario.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
o snap its eric Posted on May 15 2003, 02:16 PM
but these guys dont live on the surface. well i dont see any on the surface. they are on the bottom and mid part of the aquario.
Anyway possible to catch one and photograph it? That would be the best possible way to ID what it is you are looking at. I provided a link to what I thought you were describing in hopes you would read it and see if it fit all parts of the description including habitat. If it is some other type of bug, need to at least get a better description if you are unable to photograph it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts