Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could someone post some pics of red bellies or elongs with different color sand (some with white sand and some with black sand)? ive heard that the color of the bottom will turn the color of the fish...im thinking about switching over to black sand but i am wondering how different the fish would look...thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
i will try and get some pics for you, on black gravel my red bellies went jet black with gold speckled scales and on brown /neutral gravel they are silver/grey/green and bight red bellied lol it does effect the colour of the fish. i believe that AKskirmish has an intersting shot of a mac which went blue when it was in bluegravel!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
my MAC didnt change much from black to white/black almost no change at all

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
there was a huge difference with my rhom from black sand to natural gravel. Natural gravel makes him almost appear white but his glitter shines alot more compared to the black.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
ive heard that the color of the bottom will turn the color of the fish...im thinking about switching over to black sand but i am wondering how different the fish would look...thanks a lot!
True, this is a common property of almost all fishes. They do change colors to match the bottom. This, however, is a parasympathetic nervous system process and the fish cannot control it.

Harry

·
ROCKINTIMBZ
6,551 Posts
ive heard that the color of the bottom will turn the color of the fish...im thinking about switching over to black sand but i am wondering how different the fish would look...thanks a lot!
True, this is a common property of almost all fishes. They do change colors to match the bottom. This, however, is a parasympathetic nervous system process and the fish cannot control it.

Harry
[/quote]
Knew they could change color didnt know that it was involuntary.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I presume it is like a Chameleon with their change of color. They match their surroundings for a natural defense.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the pics man
i think i am going to go with the black sand
thanks to everyone who replied

1 - 11 of 11 Posts