Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys any help is greatly appreciated here. I bought MR HARLEYS Jl subs and his rockford fosgate amp. I have everything hooked up but for some reason..i get no sound from the subwoofers at all. When i try to change songs on my HU i get an odd sound and the deck dims a little bit. I'm having trouble giving more information so ask any questions and ill answer them to the best of my ability. Thanks A LOT!!!!

· Registered
648 Posts
you need either two battery's. one to power the amp and have it charged by the alternator or have a huge high amp rating battery to power all, because when you turn it on the amp isn't getting enough power thats why when pro's do it they use more then one battery.

· Registered
1,299 Posts
You don't need a second battery unless you want to increase your playing time when the car is OFF.

Ok, first step is the amp turning on? Check your ant. wire to be sure it is connected, etc. Check your ground. Check your power wire.

Amp is on, but no sound? Check your rca's, check your speaker wire. Check the gain. Using a RF bass knob? Check that? Check the wiring inside the speaker box, may have come loose.

None of that works? Let me know what you did wiring wise and I'll try to help...used to run a custom car audio shop (sold Zapco, JL, Eclipse, RF, MB Quart).

· Registered
5,089 Posts
nfldRBP said:
Amp is on-no sound.
Checked RCAs
Havn't checked speakers wire or gain? whats gain.
[snapback]874141[/snapback]​
if the amp is on, it isnt the ground wire. check the wiring from the amp to the sub. its gotta be somewhere in there.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well now that you mention it, I have the amp bridged. I connected the positive wires from both speakers and hooked those up to the right side of the amp. Then i connected the negative wires from both speakers and hooked those upto the left side of the amp. Does this help?

· Registered
1,299 Posts
What model amp and subs do you have? What ohm loads? You may be frying (or have already fried) your amp...

gain is an adjustment on the amp that controls how fast the amp reaches peak power. Basically its a volume knob for your bass...it should be set at around 50-75% of the way up...

· Oh, SNAP!
3,669 Posts
Enriqo_Suavez said:
Is the ground connected? I disagree with grimreaperman, you DON'T need two batteries to run an amp and subs.
[snapback]874101[/snapback]​
I agree, it's probably a wiring problem, check the power, ground and also the sub-woofer wires. You definatly don't need two batteries unless you're running a massive setup, I'm tallking 1500w+.

· Registered
1,299 Posts
Hey check your pm.....I got back to you...

Ok, for everyone else...here's how it works...if you want to extend your run time when the car is off, you add batteries...if you want to keep your lights, etc from dimming while you are driving or the car is on you add a larger alternator. Too many people think an extra bettery solves all your problems. All the batteries in the world aren't going to help if your charging system can't replenish the power you are taking out of your batteries. Depending on the vehicle, you should upgrade your alternator when your system reaches somewhere between 500-1000 watts of power.

· Registered
414 Posts
nfldRBP said:
Well now that you mention it, I have the amp bridged. I connected the positive wires from both speakers and hooked those up to the right side of the amp. Then i connected the negative wires from both speakers and hooked those upto the left side of the amp. Does this help?
[snapback]874158[/snapback]​
If you are running one amp with two speakers, depending on your ohm load, will tell you how you want to wire them. If you are bridging them they should either be running in series or parralel. The amp should tell you where to hook up the wires when you are bridging the amp.

Does your stereo have a sub control that would need to be turned on in the head unit?

· Registered
1,299 Posts
Yeah, good points...check your fuse, check your deck...I pm'ed him with how to wire his setup. It's kind of a strange combination, but it'll work.

· Registered
692 Posts
Lyle said:
Hey check your pm.....I got back to you...

Ok, for everyone else...here's how it works...if you want to extend your run time when the car is off, you add batteries...if you want to keep your lights, etc from dimming while you are driving or the car is on you add a larger alternator. Too many people think an extra bettery solves all your problems. All the batteries in the world aren't going to help if your charging system can't replenish the power you are taking out of your batteries. Depending on the vehicle, you should upgrade your alternator when your system reaches somewhere between 500-1000 watts of power.
[snapback]874180[/snapback]​
also if you want your lights from dimiming you could get a capasitator(sp?)

· Registered
648 Posts
well what i meant by it if its a high amp amp then it will draw more power. without sufficient power it will drown down the alternators power if the engines running or drown down the battery if on or not on, capacitors will help the same way another battery should, but i've seen systems with one battery that well sucked then the dude swapped the battery out for two and it made all the diff. that or it could be its grounding out or shorting.

· Registered
1,299 Posts
Capacitors IMO are mostly useless. I know most people think they do good things, but I don't. A 1 farad cap will give you 1 second of extra juice....what's the point? I always told people to spend that money on an alternator instead....there are some larger caps (20+ farads) that I would consider using myself.

· Registered
648 Posts
yeah a larger alternator would give it the juice it needs, haha forgot as well capacitors help, thats all. but a new alternator that will give you some good juice might run you a few$$ but i'd be worth it ti run all that and other stuff, the extra battery if you choose then will give you the juice to run the system after the cars off and off for a while. what size amp is it anyway. if its a big one it'll take some juice, and unless you have fuses installed and you hook something up wiring it'll blow the fuse/fuses and you'll have to check em to see. you need an electricials ohm tester and amperage meter/ voltage. very usefull. i keep one always.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.