Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ppl, so I was wondering... has anyone had to endure a extended power outtage and manage to keep ur P's alive. I was out of power for about a week and all my fish died. My tanks temp dropped to about 40 degrees and I was boiling water on the stove and trying to bring up the temp in the tanks....i was at it for 4 hours befor I gave up....my 160 gallon tank only rose 3 degrees after all that work!! Any suggestions for fighting the elements in the future? I'm already looking at generators but holy crap they are $$$!!

RIP little buddies--

5 caribe
2 terns
1 Sanchezi

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Sorry for your lost.
For that long, you'll need a generator.

·
Registered
20 Posts
or get some sort of solar panels that will run all of your tanks or make a battery back up system and have a solar panel to charge it during the day

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
what ever you buy....make sure you have a game plan

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry for your loss.
A week without electricity in my house, I can't imagine what it would be like. Rarely more than a couple hours here, if at all.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
A valuable advice for all the people who have precious fishes in their tanks.

Do get a Generetaor (as been said here) in order to be able to go through the power outages.
That is not even very pricey solution.

Harry

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Do pet stores sell Generetaors? I know at my job the Generetaors there are heavy dutie but no one wants a loude ass machine in their house:p

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
A valuable advice for all the people who have precious fishes in their tanks.

Do get a Generetaor (as been said here) in order to be able to go through the power outages.
That is not even very pricey solution.

Harry
X2 :rock:

Hater

·
Registered
271 Posts
Or buy an DC to AC inverter at target for $40. Plug it into your car and run extension cord to your house. Would run your 160 for awhile with short breaks to cool the inverter. If you got two outlets in your car, buy two. Keep the car running, so you don't drain your battery

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Ah man that sucks around the holidays and stuff. I would definitaly look into getting a generator its well worth the money if you every have another power outage.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Or buy an DC to AC inverter at target for $40. Plug it into your car and run extension cord to your house. Would run your 160 for awhile with short breaks to cool the inverter. If you got two outlets in your car, buy two. Keep the car running, so you don't drain your battery
His electricity was out for a week
You're going to run your car for that long?

·
Registered
271 Posts
His electricity was out for a week
You're going to run your car for that long?

[/quote]

Didn't catch that it was out for a week. Recently worked for me for two days though.

·
Registered
416 Posts
i live in washington also. my plan worked great to keep my guy alive. when it happened i was at work. so i had my wife cover the tank with a blanket and put my battery operated air stone in there. when i got home i took an extra 20 gallon tank i had and brought it to my moms along with a power filter it wasnt cycled so i just stole some from her tank of reds and used my old heater and he made it fine with lots of water changes. but my advice is if you have family in a distant area get an extra tank and ask if you can leave in there garage or something with some convicts to get it going and just keep it up and running then use it as an emergency relief tank. with lots of pygos unless it is a big tank i would keep the temp low to stop any aggression. but if you only loose one fish to aggression versus all them from the elements i would be happy. this is of course assuming that the power isnt out at there house to. but that is why i say a distant relative. my mom lives about a half hour drive from me. so i would say about 30 miles. anyway im sorry your fish died bro.

brian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts