Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys-
I'm just setting up my tank and was looking through the owners manual and they only show pictures of the power head on the top surface of the tank. Is is okay or recommended to submerge it completely? Its a penguin 1140. What kind of placement do you guys use for your powerheads and filters? Would you want them on opposite sides of the tank so the powerhead is flowing towards the filter to cause more of a current? Thanks for all the info
Tipopiola

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
It can be totally submerced. You can place where you want. I keep it at the top to help the top of the tank to circulate for oxigen.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I prefer to place my powerhead near the midline of the tank. That helps to circulate water lower in the tank that usually might not get circulated otherwise.

~Dj

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
What size is your tank. Powerheads help out water surface disruption, excercise for your fish and water flow currents in the tank. Theire main purpose is usually for filteration when combined with an UGF or attatched pre-filter. Depending on your tank size and/or set up, one powerful enough for your tank can be sufficient as well as using 2 with equal amount of power.

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
I place mine near the surface with the aerator attachment. If you do decide to use a powerhead for additional circulation, make sure there are calm areas in the tank where your fish can rest if they decide they don't want to "play" in the current. You don't want your tank to be like a whirlpool so size the powerhead accordingly.

Here's a (bad) pic of my geryi tank showing the placement of the powerhead:

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Nice Geryi pics. I think that is the relative position of my powerhead as well.

~Dj

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Mine haven´t bitten the cord...they are too smart to do that...i place my 2 PH in the midline!

I like the current moving the plants and Ps exercising...!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.