Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my problem is this: i had 10 piranhas in a 125 gallon tank. i traded them in at my LFS for some Jag cichlids.
i wanted to make sure i had a boy/agressive and big fish. they sold me 3 3" fish.

for 2 days i had 2 oscars in the tank too, which i loved, they're awesome fish.
sadly enough my one jag cichlid (who is the largest of the 3, and lightest coloured and has redder eys). he chased the crap outta the oscars causiing me to put them in my sisers oscar 200 gal tank.

i had 2 small texas cichlids too which went with the oscars.

Now that the other fish have left my big Jag is chasing the other 2, they are scared hiding in the 2 corners while he roams the tank.

I AM new to these fish and pretty much saying that he can not have roommates or very select ones.

i saw a red tail catfish (baby, 3" long) in the pet shop and i know they get big and have a tough armour. they look really cool too.
i dont however want to jepredize( sP) my one big jag of gettin eaten.

i know there is no way this could happen with the sizes of the 2 animals now, i will keep them well fed.

any words of wisdom here? and advice, i want a kick ass catfish in my tank if i cant have any other fish with my bastard Jag

**Also the 2 smaller im going to say "female" jags, how would they do in the 200 gal oscar tank? would they do to their tank what my big guy is doing to mine?

i want them all to get along, lol

·
Registered
284 Posts
I think you're just going to have to really deal with the aggression. Piranhas are not really aggressive, they just eat but Cichlids are of course very territorial so its territory might be as big as the tank (or even bigger if you upgraded the tank). Your only hope would be to put tons of driftwood, rocks and hiding spots that are too small for the jag to get into and try a convict or two but they might get eaten. How about a pair of cons. I think a pair of breeding cons might fend of a jag

my problem is this: i had 10 piranhas in a 125 gallon tank. i traded them in at my LFS for some Jag cichlids.
i wanted to make sure i had a boy/agressive and big fish. they sold me 3 3" fish.

for 2 days i had 2 oscars in the tank too, which i loved, they're awesome fish.
sadly enough my one jag cichlid (who is the largest of the 3, and lightest coloured and has redder eys). he chased the crap outta the oscars causiing me to put them in my sisers oscar 200 gal tank.

i had 2 small texas cichlids too which went with the oscars.

Now that the other fish have left my big Jag is chasing the other 2, they are scared hiding in the 2 corners while he roams the tank.

I AM new to these fish and pretty much saying that he can not have roommates or very select ones.

i saw a red tail catfish (baby, 3" long) in the pet shop and i know they get big and have a tough armour. they look really cool too.
i dont however want to jepredize( sP) my one big jag of gettin eaten.

i know there is no way this could happen with the sizes of the 2 animals now, i will keep them well fed.

any words of wisdom here? and advice, i want a kick ass catfish in my tank if i cant have any other fish with my bastard Jag

**Also the 2 smaller im going to say "female" jags, how would they do in the 200 gal oscar tank? would they do to their tank what my big guy is doing to mine?

i want them all to get along, lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats a good thought with the convicts. - that would be fun to watch/do

i really kind of have my heart on a red tail catfish though.
my tank will be:

1 Jag
1 Red Tail Catfish
Pleco

i just dont wat my Jag to be lunch - i might try to make an effort for the first few weeks so i can get to see what kinds of sizes the catfish can take and keep a small selection of different size feeders in.. some rosy red minnows, and sum small and large catfish.

·
^word
4,324 Posts
Thats a huge no on the pleco and the red tail catfish. As said before, the RTC WILL grow to 4' (at a rate of about 4" a month) and will in time eat your Jag. The pleco will grow to 2' and just be a sh*t monster in your tank and will create an absolute wreck on your tanks bio-system.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Dont waste your money in red tail cats, they get huge in no time. Unless you plan on trading it in once it outgrew its tank.
My advice is to keep all 3 jags till you get a definite male. More likely the biggest jag you have with most prominent pattern will be a male. You might want to keep more target fish, and ditters fish. Like small convicts, small Jack dempseys, jewel cichlids. And if the biggest jag still wants to kill the remaining 2 smaller jags. Then, I would remove the 2 smaller jags.
I think its best to just keep one solo jag in that 125gallon, it might look so much empty space for now. But that jag will easily fill up that tank.

Goodluck man.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dont waste your money in red tail cats, they get huge in no time. Unless you plan on trading it in once it outgrew its tank.
My advice is to keep all 3 jags till you get a definite male. More likely the biggest jag you have with most prominent pattern will be a male. You might want to keep more target fish, and ditters fish. Like small convicts, small Jack dempseys, jewel cichlids. And if the biggest jag still wants to kill the remaining 2 smaller jags. Then, I would remove the 2 smaller jags.
I think its best to just keep one solo jag in that 125gallon, it might look so much empty space for now. But that jag will easily fill up that tank.

Goodluck man.
That is awesome advice, with the Ditter fish as distraction..i was going go with some small guppies and some rosy red minnows..but convicts may worknicely..

i'd really love the catfish..maybe i'll talk to the pet shop (they know there stuff..depending who i talk to) but i'll see what happens

cheers guys.

oh and ps. i was amazed at how fast the Jag picked on the oscar and had him Ko'd pretty much..i always thought oscars were TOUGH..they arent built for it..they are just hunger machines pretty much...

·
Registered
580 Posts
yea dont get a pleco they are sh*t machines but i do love the RTC they have a 2ft 1 in the lfs and its like 65pounds but a solo jag in a nice decorated tank wud be cool!

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
i'd really love the catfish..maybe i'll talk to the pet shop (they know there stuff..depending who i talk to) but i'll see what happens
I'm not trying to be rude to you but lets take a reality check here.
The pet store that sells RTC and does not sell the 500+ gallon tanks that they require are not going to properly advise you on this fish. If they were a reputable place in this reguard they would not order RTC to begin with.
I'm sure they will tell you some bullshit like "oh they will only grow to the size of the tank" or some other fish store bullshit.

They get over 4 FEET long. that is not a exaggeration. That is a fact. They will eat you out of house and home and are not a fish that is approperate for home aquarium. Sure you can trade it back to the store when it get tos be 2'. Maybe. IF they want to deal with it. Not likley because at that size there are VERY few people willing to take on the responsiblity of housing one.

Save yourself from the problem before it becomes yours. Do not get a RTC.

As to keeping tank mates. you are going to need fish that can equal the aggressiveness and size of the Jag if you hope to cohab. And more then one. Convicts will work for only a short time before they become victims or food.
Better to keep a smaller number of fish so that your tank can be kept under control.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I saw this happening when you first talked about it and told you jag = no tank mates other than rocks.

The rtc will outgrow that tank in a year and you won't have much luck getting rid of it. I know people who can't get rid of 16" rtc's to save their life. Either take the jags back and get more of a community fish or make a hiding spots in the tank and hope that this will create a place for them all to hide and not get picked on.

Better idea buy some eggcrate from the hardware store and make a divider til you decide which one is the male and then get rid of the otehr two.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
Or just post some pics and let me sex them for you.
Jags are pretty eash to sex once they hit 3-4"

"i want them all to get along, lol"

You're dealing with the wrong kinda fish.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

Very true, jags are one of the few that are assumably sexable on looks from very small. So you could post pics and someone will tell you which if any is male.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Very true, jags are one of the few that are assumably sexable on looks from very small. So you could post pics and someone will tell you which if any is male.
[/quote]

Thanks for the help guys - i'll take my shot at getting some pics and will post them up tomorrow,

·
Registered
18 Posts
What is the rate of growth of a jag anyway? I have a 1.5inch baby and am waiting to mix em up with my 3.5inch oscar and (2) 2.5"GT and 2"cons..

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
I saw this happening when you first talked about it and told you jag = no tank mates other than rocks.

The only large pleco I've had killed was by a jag. RTC... been covered well. And I wouldn't call guppies or rosies dithers... I think the term is 'feeders'

The jewel cichlid dither idea is a cool one that I haven't tried, but it seems feasible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts