Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiiiiii everyone, This is a really great board,i registered seconds ago and this is my first question (onthis board),

I have been keeping 3 rbp for about 1 years in a 40 gallon tank, they were about 5"-6" long when i bought them and now they are around 7"-7,5" . Why do they grow this slow? Would their growth be stunned
? After this time shifting to a bigger tank like a 60 gallon would return them to growth ? or will they allways stay on 7" ??? please help me. Thanks alot.

G

·
no, there growth should not be stunted. They grow really fast up to around 5inchs. I had 3 6inch reds in a 55g(plently of space) and they only grew to around 7inchs in a year. There growth normally slows down alot

·
Registered
458 Posts
This is typical with most P's I beleive. They grow fast until ... then they slow to 1" - 1.5" a year. the only way to experience the rapid growth is to start at dime - quarter size.

-Kevin-

·
Registered
496 Posts
None of you have stated the obvious.. Your fish aren't growing because of the size tank there in. It's a crowded tank. Get a 75gallon+ tank and a variety of foods and they will slowly grow more..

·
Registered
698 Posts
not really, its actually quite small when you think about the size these fish grow in the wild 14 inches. Water changes help alot in keeping the fish healthy and breakdown those natural acids to slow growth down. Read about that in an article. If I can find it again, I will post it here.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Yeah even with a bigger tank, more frequent water changes, etc, I dont think you can expect more than an inch or 2 a year at best.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i learned that, gold fishe and also frozen fish which is not defrosted are vitamin B inhibiters which is the essential vitamin for the growth ! ??? DONT FEED GOLDFISH TO YOUR PIRANHAS !!!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Is that true? I have three juvis the largest is about two inches, i have them in a ten gallon tank now, im going to start to feed them cichlid pellets for coloration and for variation in diet, i have only been feeding them goldfish, livebearers, and rubies. Oh yeah i also feed them bloodworms every 3 days. Any advice?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts