Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today a guy from a lfs called me to ask if I wanted to buy three RBP's he just got in. I stopped down to the lfs to look at them and he wanted $30.00 each if I took all three. I asked how old they were and the guy who traded them in was still at the store so he came over and told me he got them at less than an inch in size 1 year and 5 months ago.

The largest of the three was only about four inches, the next one was about three, and the third was about 2.5 inches. All of my P's had grown to well over 5" in that amount of time. A couple went over six. The odd thing about these P's was that their teeth were normal size for a fish of that age. The teeth were huge for the bodies of the fish. This looked kind of cool on fish this small but I question why they are so small.

I verified with the store owner's wife that these were purchased from them 1 year and 5 months ago. What do you think could have caused this growth problem? I've never raised or seen fish of this age so small. I suppose feeding and water quality may have played a part but man, these were small! Maybe they were just from a mutation of some sort. They actually had bucked teeth top and bottom. The owner also said that these fish were the only fish in a 55.

Needles to say, I turned down the offer.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
30 dollars for the reds is expensive. I would expect them to be nearly 6 inches. They were probably just not cared for properly and were fed foods that did not promote growth. Good move not taking the offer!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
yeah that price is a little steep, but I would say that these fish were probally not fed adequatly ... but you could easily host them back to shape in no time :D

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
well of course water changes play a big role in that .. copuld be one of many factors i guess ... just some TLC to fix the problem but for $30 a piece ... thats steep and that better not be american your talking about casue thats really steep
...here in NS canada BRP gor for 20-25 a piece without cutting any deals. Keep in mine larger specimens cost more... but for them to say that they were giving you a deal :O ... be smart im glad your not an impulsive buyer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts