Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have brownish algea in there pirahna tank or any other tank for that matter. Its collecting on the rocks all of the sudden and now actually on the glass never had a problem before now all the sudden its every where.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
This happened to a friend of mine. I believe its from insufficient filtration. The people recommended he put in a UGF and it seemed to do the trick. You can either step up your filtration and see if that helps as well.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I think they actually call it red algea, and I think I remember reading its from excess nutrients that normally are used by plants, so if you use less light or add alot of live plants it should take care of it

do you have well or city water?

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Captain Beefheart Posted on Mar 21 2003, 03:33 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brown algae can actually be from too many nutrients in the water.
On target as always, but also include to much light.

Sir Nathan XXI Posted on Mar 21 2003, 04:03 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think they actually call it red algea, and I think I remember reading its from excess nutrients that normally are used by plants, so if you use less light or add alot of live plants it should take care of it
You were fine until you starting calling it red algae, a totally different species and using plants.

Recommended cures include water changes and adding algae eaters but in a pirana tank? no way. So follow instructions from Captain Beefheart and a bit of Nate's advice.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
do you have it by a window? by chance?

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I had that also.. but mines collected in the canister tubes. Everytime I turn the canister on, it would shoiot out some of the algea. NAAASTY!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts