Votes: 0 0.0%
  • N/A

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some duckweed floating on the top of my 125...Im trying to start it growing since i want to cover the whole top....anyways, everyonce in a while (at least 2x a day) one of my P's smashes the surface for no reason goes down to the bottom, acts like he is chewing and then expelled a whole shibby load of air bubbles out of his gills....

Is he doing this to tickle his gills by useing air?
is he doing this to eat the duckweed

can anyone give me an answer of a possibility

thanx

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I havent experienced this behavior. Mine do crash the surface like yours and then let out the air bubbles but I dont have anything on the surface, maybe yours do it more to get the duckweed

you need to make poll options

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
My reds do the same, taking a gulp of air at the surface. I don't have duckweed, though...

I noticed they usually do it after a feeding session, which makes me believe that the gulping and swallowing of air has something to do with countering the added weight of the food, in order to maintain neutral boiancy (ie. the normal state: not sinking, nor raising to the surface).

So, try and figure out if your fish "breach" on specific occasions (which may give some clues), or at random.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I think what your seeing is normal, it's probably just that when they go up to surface they are getting a mouthfull of plants and they are tryinmg to spit it out. Mine do the same thing, But I have huge plastic plants floatingo n the top.

·
Piranha Expert
4,309 Posts
my reds do this too after feeding and aswell as after waterchanges.maybe there not getting enough air?

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I always thought it was reflections from the top of the water that made them go up and attack. Never thought about it also, really. Just thought it was a normal thing, and I dont have anything floating on the surface.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Thats what I thought all along, Majestic Marcos. One time when my 125 gal was just filled with water, I stuck my head in there and did see a reflection when the water level was an inch or less from the top of the tank.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
I don´t know why they do that but i think is normal since i´ve seen this behavior in my Cariba from time to time for many years and they keep healthy and alive till present day!

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I've seen other fish do it as well: I don't think it's something to worry about (unless they do it all the time, which could be a sign of low oxygen levels).

·
Registered
829 Posts
RhomZilla said:
Thats what I thought all along, Majestic Marcos. One time when my 125 gal was just filled with water, I stuck my head in there and did see a reflection when the water level was an inch or less from the top of the tank.
HAHA, try that filled with Piranha!

My rbp's will swim real fast to the top of the water as well... once, they all did it in a row.. I heard bang, bang (didnt know what was up) then i looked at my tank and my other 3 did the same thing, all swam real fast to the top, looked like they might have been trying to jump up out of the water, but were hitting the glass top of my tank

maybe they were all fighting, and trying to get away from each other?!? but not sure...

it may be the reflection as well... if I move the gravel away from one spot in the tank, where you can see the glass reflection, my P's will act very aggressive towards their own reflection... they point downwards, open their mouths, then do a little wiggle

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
all my reds i have kept have done the grabbing air thing. it's very sparse and not bad at all. if they do it constantly then, just like everyone else mentioned, you may have a problem on your hands.

Joe

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
marco said:
my reds do this too after feeding and aswell as after waterchanges.maybe there not getting enough air?
could be, maybe he is happy about dinner?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
My Ps do come up and do that after a water change...

Buy one of my caribe loves to put his head on top of an air stone...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts