Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Pfury-ers,
Here is a quote from Frank that was an answer to my question as to whether these piranhas that have been surfacing lately that look like a mix between medinai and rhoms can really be some sort of ruby throated rhoms ( I modified the quote a bit to make it shorter and relevant to this topic):

"S. medinai is found in Venezuela and Bolivia not in lower Brazil. Those fish that are refered to as S. medinai which are S. spilopleura complex forms (CF) appear similar to S. medinai but are not medinai. The S. medinai is known by its yellow eyes.
Eye color is plastic among fishes and cannot be used as a sole indicator of species, red is also common among many other species of piranas not limited to S. rhombeus.
If you ask does S. rhombeus have a red throat? I would answer yes, but not as intense as those in S. spilopleura, yet many others that are in Pristobrycon also have red throats. See the paradox?"

Even though it is very hard to determine through a pic what your fish is, Frank believes that my P may be an example of this S. spilopleura CF. I thought I would share this with you so you can see what an example of this is. I always wondered why my piranha lacked that coloration that medinai have and I believe I got my answer. It tells us that we (myself in particular) shouldn't be so quick to judge on eye color or coloration on the body as the sole indicator as what kind of P someone has.

Here's my S. spilopleura CF/not sure piranha, LOL: (the first and last pic he is about 3 inches, the middle two he is 4 inches)

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
nice pics, and good info.
But how anoying is it to have to scroll left and right just to read the end of the sentance!

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Innes said:
nice pics, and good info.
But how anoying is it to have to scroll left and right just to read the end of the sentance!
ya, I couln't even find the energy to read the whole thing.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Spilo CF... Interesting.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
So then Genin, what are you gonna be calling MUNEN? Medinai or Spilo CF? Won't that sorta undermind your website? Either way, I dont think that too many people like yourself has ever dug so deep into the innner workings of the Medinai. Good job. =)

~Dj

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
OK thats some pretty interesting info.
... are we saying that there is some type of possible hybrid, or just a misunderstanding in labelling?

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
are we saying that there is some type of possible hybrid, or just a misunderstanding in labelling?
These are not a hybrid nor a misunderstanding. They are complex forms that have developed for their geographic needs and ability to fit in. This is called mimicry and why schools of this species are often intermixed with P. nattereri since their coloration is generally the same. The brillience of scaling is also part of their camoflague. The absence of the midline band common to the typical S. spilopleura is not evident on this CF. Again, part of natures mysteries and hobbyists enigma.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Im still confused as to how many possible fish display somewhat similiar characteristics... there is S. Maculatus, S. Medani, S. Spilo (Ruby Red Variant), and Younger S. Rhombeus. Munen could be one of the original S. Spilos that george had called Ruby Reds, which now seem different then the ones that Ron has been importing.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Genin said:
It tells us that we (myself in particular) shouldn't be so quick to judge on eye color or coloration on the body as the sole indicator as what kind of P someone has.
Body coloration has to have something to do with it. For example the Caribe. If the Caribe didn't have his humeral spot we would have a very hard time determining between a Caribe and a Red Belly.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
If the Caribe didn't have his humeral spot we would have a very hard time determining between a Caribe and a Red Belly.
humeral spotting is not solely indicative of P. cariba. It is found in many other species of pirana. S. medinai juveniles are often confused for P. cariba because of the humeral spot and red coloration in Venezuela. P. nattereri also has a humeral spot but not as prominent as P. cariba dependent on the river locality.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dj,
I am not sure what I am going to do about the site. I currently have it out of my signature until I fix it up with actual pics of real medinai, or I may change it to a Spilopleura CF site. Thank you for the compliments.

Piranha13,
I believe hestasus already answered your question much better than I could.

BDKing57,
I wish I knew exactly what Munen was so I could try to raise him based on his natural habitat and behavior in the wild. I suppose I will have to wait sometime until this Spilo. CF is looked at a little more for that info.

Whatever Munen is, he's a pretty cool fish. I have devoted a 55 to him and when he gets full grown he will get an even larger tank all to himself to swim and eat at leasure. He's kinda weird; he lacks a lot of the coloration qualities that many of the other Spilopleura CF have, he chills on the bottom doesn't swim around too much (unless all the lights are off then he's a speed demon all over the place), he isn't skittish at all and doesn't swim or tilt away from me. I really like the way he looks when those scales shine with a purplish color when he swims, very cool and fun fish if you can deal with only having one in your tank. I highly recommend getting one.

Joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts