Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a lot of reading and i'm set on keeping a fish only with live rock tank. From what I have read it seems as if I have FOWLR it's best if I don't have a wet/dry on the tank. It seems the only filtration I would need is the substrate, live rock, and a protein skimmer. Let me know if i've got that right.

·
tap or snap
11,899 Posts
yup
and it wouldn't hurt to have a sand bed either.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Yep, you are on the right track. The live rock and the first inch or so of the live sand should take care of all the biological filtration.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts

so far so good, i would run a dsb for denitrification purposes, and are you going sump or hang on skimmer. i might be able to give you some recomendations.

G

·

so far so good, i would run a dsb for denitrification purposes, and are you going sump or hang on skimmer. i might be able to give you some recomendations.
Thats a little much for someone new to the hobby isnt it? I know people who have been keeping SW tanks for years and even they have had problems with thier DSB over time.

Regardless, good luck!

·
Registered
8,568 Posts

Thats a little much for someone new to the hobby isnt it? I know people who have been keeping SW tanks for years and even they have had problems with thier DSB over time.

Regardless, good luck!
[/quote]

I would agree with DannyBoy here. The new hot topic with SW tanks is over the potential "ticking bombs" that DSBs could be. Studies have found that the majority of denitrofaction happens within the first 1" of the substrate, and that since DSB's are normally considered over 6" in depth there are many issues that are starting to arise for using them.

Thus, a 1" to 3" substrate would work fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts