Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
i just picked up a 25 gallon to replace my 10 gallon feeder tank... going to try a sand bottom this time... i know it will be harder to keep clean, but i'm gonna have 3 crawfish in it, plus if i syphon out the junk and sand goes with it, atleast the sand is cheap (i jsut used playground sand) mainly i'm concerned about the filters getting jammed with sand... any pointer about that, or should i worry... any other tips much appreciated as well!

i'll post pics when its set up!

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
is playground sand safe?

also the filter issue may be trouble

·
"The Video Pimp"
1,401 Posts
i have heard the same thing for my friend at my LFS its the exact same thing accept like 15x cheaper. still clean it first but just as safe. well if its a acuaclear filer should be ok but a emp or penguin you might have a problem. if its a ac just take the extentions off so its not really close to the bottom.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Croz said:
i have heard the same thing for my friend at my LFS its the exact same thing accept like 15x cheaper. still clean it first but just as safe. well if its a acuaclear filer should be ok but a emp or penguin you might have a problem. if its a ac just take the extentions off so its not really close to the bottom.
cool thanks!

anything else i should consider that i may not be aware of?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Innes said:
is playground sand safe?

also the filter issue may be trouble
yea and like croz said, i inquired at the pet store (pets unlimited in chain lake) one of their 100+ tanks was set up with the same type sand, that's what he suggested, as pet store sand is crazy expensive...

and to tell you the truth, i think it even looks better then the pet store sand... they had 2 tanks set up,one with playground sand, and one with theirs... the playground sand is alot whiter, and just looks better...

i ran the sand through hot water, probably lost alot but oh well... put it in the tank... i'm only keeping feeders in it, not a big deal, and i wont feed them to my p's for about a month, to make sure there are no ill effects!

guess my p's will be eating alot of salmon/haddock til then

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
any tank should still look good! and there will be a couple non feeder fish in it, just nothing too expensive... plus i was thinking of doing this to my p tank, so i wanted to try it on something smaller first!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
sand is actually a much better substrate then gravel and results in clearer water. A good idea is to mix some gravel in which the sand. This will help the silt to form . Once the sand is in the tank for a while it will become very heavy and you will not have to worry about stiring it up. I would place a big patch of gravel around the filter intake just incase. In sand.. and the shibby floats to one little corner usually and is easy to clean, although you may have to rake it out from time to time to keep it looking fresh.

Make sure you rinse it.. If not it will be cloudy for 4-5 days.. just dont worry though because it will clear eventually, dont panic.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BDKing57 said:
sand is actually a much better substrate then gravel and results in clearer water. A good idea is to mix some gravel in which the sand. This will help the silt to form . Once the sand is in the tank for a while it will become very heavy and you will not have to worry about stiring it up. I would place a big patch of gravel around the filter intake just incase. In sand.. and the shibby floats to one little corner usually and is easy to clean, although you may have to rake it out from time to time to keep it looking fresh.

Make sure you rinse it.. If not it will be cloudy for 4-5 days.. just dont worry though because it will clear eventually, dont panic.
thanks bud! yea it is a little cloudy, not too bad tho! glad to hear its not too bad to clean!

i managed to pick up an old AC 300 for 10 bucks... so i got that and a AC mini running on it!

here's a couple pics, the decor and such isnt near comlpetion yet... but i do like the sand look so far!

pics here

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi.To keep the sand from wrecking your filters impellor you can take a AC filter sponge and cut it with a exacto knife.Cut it just enough to slide over the intake on your filter.VOILA! a cheap pre-filter for your filter.
Later
Eric

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I think my next tank setup should be a sand one... too many gravel tanks, not that there is anything wrong with that...
do you ever have any probs with the siphoning guys?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts