Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so since I first talked about getting a 55 gallon tank in April for Cichlids, a lot has been going on and so I have decided to make it a PIRANHA TANK
Anyways so far I know of these things:
55 gallon aquarium (duh)
Filter (need one that is quiet and does more than enough cleaning for the 55)
Powerhead (this is to make a current right? how many are recommened)
Thermometer (how many watts is good for a 55)

Whats a sump?
Wet/Dry Filter?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,837 Posts
eL ChiNo LoCo said:
Hey so since I first talked about getting a 55 gallon tank in April for Cichlids, a lot has been going on and so I have decided to make it a PIRANHA TANK
Anyways so far I know of these things:
55 gallon aquarium (duh)
Filter (need one that is quiet and does more than enough cleaning for the 55)
Powerhead (this is to make a current right? how many are recommened)
Thermometer (how many watts is good for a 55)

Whats a sump?
Wet/Dry Filter?
Thanks
[snapback]823724[/snapback]​
filter- i use a power filter for my 55's that hangs ver the back and they are not that loud.. and they are cheap ...$<45 (if you got to right place)

Heater- most will say on package how big of a tank they are 4...u need 200 watt

p- head you will need sometin that pumps around 350 gph... ( i currently use a 175 gph in my 55 and it is adequate... imp you don't want to turn it up full blast anyway... so one for a smaller tank turned up higher should do and it will save you some cheese...

hey if you can find a PETSMART.. they have a 55 in a box w/everything (no stand) for $160- this is what i suggest...

happy hunting and happy new year!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dr Exum said:
filter- i use a power filter for my 55's that hangs ver the back and they are not that loud.. and they are cheap ...$<45 (if you got to right place)

Heater- most will say on package how big of a tank they are 4...u need 200 watt

p- head you will need sometin that pumps around 350 gph... ( i currently use a 175 gph in my 55 and it is adequate... imp you don't want to turn it up full blast anyway... so one for a smaller tank turned up higher should do and it will save you some cheese...
hey if you can find a PETSMART.. they have a 55 in a box w/everything (no stand) for $160- this is what i suggest...

happy hunting and happy new year!
[snapback]823801[/snapback]​
Thanks, my mind kinda past by buying the complete sets at petstores since Ive gotten some opinions that tell me that they arent as good if you were to buy them separately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,318 Posts
aquaclear 500 for filter. 200wat ebo jager heater would do great. Not sure on the powerheads...you do need ONE it makes current...

you dont need a wet/dry filter. Basically its a filter that is more high end than a canister of HOB filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I was reading around and I read in a thread some where that if your going to have sand in your tank, to have a wet/dry system in it, is that true, do I HAVE to have one (for sand bottom)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm okay, so my dad says he has about 6 40 gallon acryllic tanks at where he lives, (actually his roomates, but they are giving them away). How many P's can I fit in there from juvinile to adult? I dont know, but Im going to Dr. Exums advice and go to the petsmart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,318 Posts
Many many many people here do not have wet/dry filters for their tanks that have sand. Canister or hangonback filters should be fine. Do you know the dimensions of the 40gal tanks? Adult red belly probably wont fit in a 40g that well, cus they get long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,436 Posts
this is what i have on my 55 and ive had great results

ebo 200w heater
2 penguin 330 filters (or 1 peng330 and an xp3 would be even better)
AC402 powerhead

a sump and a wet/dry are basically the same thing... they're very efficient filters that you can make custom for cheap... basically u have another smaller tank with established filter media and your tank water gets sucked in there, gets filtered, and then returns to the tank... dont even bother with one unless you have a 100g+ tank
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh ok. Tomorrow Im going to go pick up the 55 gallon tank from petsmart that has the kit with it ($159.99). Im also getting a stand for (134.99). CANT WAIT TO START CYCLING! You know, Ive told a few relatives and they gave me dirty looks like "what the hell are you thinking about??" They all say that they will jump out the tank and attack me! I just respond by saying "theyre actually peaceful fish, its just when theyre feeding they look like theyre killers (which they are keke) Anyways, Ill post more on what I got in the tank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HEY GUYS GUEEEEESSSSSS WHAAAAAAT! I got the tank today!! WOOHOO! Im so excited! I got the 55 gallon tank kit and the stand. Im setting up the stand right now with my uncle, the uncle that didnt want to go get Tais tanks BROTHER (the mean one Saul, the one helping me Narciso) The tank kit was kinda gay, all it really gave me was Top Fin 60 Power Filter, the 200 watt heater, and the two hoods, but that was it, not including the samples that they GIVE FOR TEN GALLON TANKS!
Atleast they coulda gave me a small bottle. They actually did, but it was the Slime Coat and the Zyme thing (bacteria starter thing). It came with a video also. The stand is nicer than I thought. So far I still need the powerhead, the meds (ph, conditioner,slime coat, do I need any other essential meds?). Then I need the 50 lbs. of black sand, some plants (which do you guys/girls recommend?) And should I get a real piece of driftwood, or the top fin fake one? Then I need to get the cycling fish, the p's food, and the test kit. I'll post pics of it all once Im done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,318 Posts
Congrats man, post pics. Also remember drift wood softens your awater PH. Whats your PH out of the tap??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Havent checked yet, I still havent started my cycling (but I want to so bad!!) I need to buy the test kits, which is better, the one with the small things you dip it in, or the drop of water?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,318 Posts
DONT get the strips, they suck. Get the kind with the droppers. A lot of people like the Aquarium Pharmaceuticles master test kit.
 
G

·
Filo said:
DONT get the strips, they suck. Get the kind with the droppers. A lot of people like the Aquarium Pharmaceuticles master test kit.
[snapback]831467[/snapback]​
I heartily agree with Filo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well for sure Im on you guys on this! Thanks for telling me on time. I took some pics, just need to upload them, be back in maybe half an hour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a question: How many of what type of fish can I have in a 55 gallon? I would really love a shoal of reds or caribes, but I dont think I would be able to keep them in there for a while, suggestions/recommendations? Thanks!
 
G

·
You could have any of the small serra species. And if you would like a Pygo shoal you could have 3 tops for life. Or get a few more if you plan on upgrading. Pygo's grow the fastest of the species though. So time would be ticking. Whats the footprint of the tank??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
48x12x21 are the dimensions. Another question, I just got back from Petsmart, and they had these Pacus called red belly pacus, but they had spots like a rbp, and I thought that it might have been real piranahs, but I was unsure and I wanted to know if there were. I was thinking more of a caribe or rbp shoal in a 55 for life, would that work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok so I couldnt wait for my substrate so I set up all the hardware, added water, some plants and 5 cycling fish. Here you go!





 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top