Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back into the Piranha scene after moving into my new house.. I had always wanted to start a Geryi Shoal.. Before I moved I had purchased a single 8-9" Geryi which resided in a single 75 gallon..I was unimpressed basically he rarely moved from his corner but I had gotten him and to say the least he was a beautiful fish.. Fast forward now I have gotten my new house in order and had acquired a 150 gallon tank to house my new shoal.. I had purchased the last Geryi from Aquascape a little small but it was mine about 6". Everything was going well I had even got a verbal agreement on a third to complete my shoal.. However this is when everything went terribly wrong. The day before I was going to transfer 2 of the Geryi's into the 150 gallon I went in my basement to check on the divided 40 breeder I found that the smaller Geryi had somehow managed to get on the other side and was bitten up pretty bad to say the least.. I immediately transfered the bigger one into the 150 gallon and he has changed into a new fish.. He is very active swimming all over the tank.. I am pretty pissed to say the least the new Geryi that I just bought might never be the same. He was bitten around his tail area pretty good and I dont think 7 days will be long enough for himto heal properly. I am currently treating him with melafix but a small part of me believes that this Geryi shoal wont work with this Geryi.. Hopefully I will be posting pics soon.. Before and after..

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
sorry to hear that man...Geryi is not like other fish..it may work or it may not work, ecspecially you have to in a tank...just remember that geryi is also part of Serra. family so you can't guranntee that the shoal always going to work.

GG have lost a few geryi to success for his shoal...again piranha are unpredictable, so you really dont know what going to happen.

·
Offical P-Fury Ex-communicant
6,712 Posts
sorry to hear that man...Geryi is not like other fish..it may work or it may not work, ecspecially you have to in a tank...just remember that geryi is also part of Serra. family so you can't guranntee that the shoal always going to work.

GG have lost a few geryi to success for his shoal...again piranha are unpredictable, so you really dont know what going to happen.
Jeff has not lost a single geryi due to aggression. He lost a few when he moved from WI to WA (due to shipping). Infact, Jeff hasnt even lost a irritans to agression either (amazing)...

Geryi groups are amazing, but you have to realize that these are wild fish that are unpredictable. My geryi range in size from 7-10" and the smallest of the 3 is left alone to do his own thing. Sometimes it works and sometimes it just doesnt.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Jeff has not lost a single geryi due to aggression. He lost a few when he moved from WI to WA (due to shipping). Infact, Jeff hasnt even lost a irritans to agression either (amazing)...

Geryi groups are amazing, but you have to realize that these are wild fish that are unpredictable. My geryi range in size from 7-10" and the smallest of the 3 is left alone to do his own thing. Sometimes it works and sometimes it just doesnt.
[/quote]
Well an update on my injured Geryi he is doing a lot better but I believe it is going to take a while maybe 2 weeks to a month b4 he fully heals.. Just watching the other bigger Geryi in the other tank I cant believe how big and thick he is compared to the one I have in the hospital tank. I am getting another Geryi in the next couple of days which is closer to his size. If everything goes well I plan on reintroducing the smaller one when he gets better..
I truly would like to believe that the bigger Geryi felt threatened when the smaller one got through the divider and just reacted..I had them seperated in a 40 breeder while my 150 was cycling. Hopefully my theory is correct otherwise I will be forced to sell one of them.. I'll keep you updated.. Later

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
i love my geryi. i would actually be scared to mix it with others and even has a small possiblilty of it dying

·
Registered
400 Posts
i love my geryi. i would actually be scared to mix it with others and even has a small possiblilty of it dying
Here's a picture of him Fin Fish Fish supply Marine biology Underwater
The other side has a little more scarring
Vertebrate Water Organism Fish Marine biology

Attachments

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I have had certain geryi that I couldnt keep with other geryi....hopefully that is not the kind of fish you are dealing with. You should be able to tell by their behavior when they are together. It is pretty obvious when you are dealing with an antisocial fish.....they usually corner the other fish at the top of the tank....

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wishing you some good luck with the experiment man hope it all works out for ya
I currently treating him with melafix/pimafix.. However, I just noticed today that he has some white specks on his body...Any suggestions on treatment?

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
That poor guy looks emaciated!!! You might want to try treating him for parasites 'n such and fatten him up! White spots could be Ich...does it look like grains of salt or sugar?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
your geryi has the biggest hump on its head. Its crazy looking. I like it
Well its all over, came home from work to find him D.O.A in the tank.. Pissed is probably too easy a word for me to use right now...I am going to start over but I would really like to know what went wrong..

·
Registered
8,643 Posts
you might have gotten a weak individual. seing the photos the geryi doesnt look like its in tip top shape. definately something the others pick up on.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Well its all over, came home from work to find him D.O.A in the tank.. Pissed is probably too easy a word for me to use right now...I am going to start over but I would really like to know what went wrong..
[/quote]

Wow man sorry for the loss of such an awesome fish. How many do you have now? Good luck. I really dont know what to tell you since i have never tried to cohab these yet.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[/quote]

Wow man sorry for the loss of such an awesome fish. How many do you have now? Good luck. I really dont know what to tell you since i have never tried to cohab these yet.
[/quote]
I only have one right now I bought another which should be coming in a few days so I will only have 2... I was hoping to introduce these fish into its new tank all at once..but with the injured fish and all I had to change everything. around...

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Remove carbon from the injured fishes tank asap if not hes dead sh*t happen to my sanchezi!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts