Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rodgers' Aquatics
2,538 Posts
I will be building a stand for a 300 gallon tank...total weight with water = approx. 2700 lbs.

I'm building it the same way a buddy of mine built his for his 125 gallon tank using Four 4x4 posts as the main supports

The question I have is...should I do 6 supports or more?

what do you all think?

Also...How tall should I make it? the tank itself is 25.5" Tall I was thinking 30" or more...any suggestions on this?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don't know if there any rules of thumb for that sort of thing. I've made everyone of my tank stands with 2x4's, but then I don't have any tanks bigger than 75g.

One question that I have for you is how long is the 300g tank from side to side? My guess is six feet. If so I would go with four legs in the front and four legs across the back.

Also you could probably look for load bearing/strength figures on the net. Try googling it. Look for lumber or home building trade associations or wood structure engineering type stuff.

Edit - I know that water is 8.8 pounds per gallon which yields 2640 pounds, but don't forget the weight of the tank itself, the gravel, ornaments, the hood, and all of the other things that you'll hang on it. I've been told that a good rule of thumb is to figure 10 pounds per gallon. So you should engineer your stand to hold 3000 pounds.

·
Oh, SNAP!
3,806 Posts
With tank stands, specially for tanks this big I always say go overkill and nothing will happen which is a good thing.

·
Rodgers' Aquatics
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
going with 10 legs total =) better over than under!...almost done with the DIY project guys...can't wait to brag..thanx for the advice hehe

·
Rodgers' Aquatics
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK changed my mind again...fickle i know.

9 posts 3 on left 3 middle and 3 right

36" tall what do you think?

·
Registered
703 Posts
i have something in mind, i'll draw it up soon and send it to you, i'm doing the same thing, here is a hint, use pressure treated 4x4 posts, just worry about building the frame, then dressing it up.

·
Rodgers' Aquatics
2,538 Posts
OK, I went to Home Depot today and bought 6 Pressure Treated 4 x 4's

and 2x4's to hold them together

The plan is to notch out the 4x4 tips to make them flush with the 2x4's

example: Top View

The Red is what's left of the 4x4 posts

black is the 2x4's

·
Banned
11,729 Posts
thats a good base. but dont forget lateral supports. i'd go with maybe 2 2x4's each side from back to front. i'd also spread the rear 2x4's apart a bit to distribute the weight better. 4x4's will hold anything. heh. be carefull with those home depot ones though, i'd use a stain on those bad boys, they tend to warp. latex works but i like lintseed oil better. also, when you're doing the lateral supports, lay the 2x4's at a 90 degree angle to the top of the stand. as in, not flat across, the top should be the 2" portion. these are just my suggestions, do with it what you will.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Also, how do plan on skinning the stand? Are you going to use plywood or dimensional lumber? Are you going to leave the back open?

If you leave any part of the stand open, try to add some bracing with a plywood triangle. This will prevent the frame of the stand from wracking, or twisting.

I'd also have to second R1dermon's suggestion above. Run some 2x4's across the the top and bottom frame. Put one on each side of the legs.

·
Rodgers' Aquatics
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stand Complete with 6 4x4 posts connected as the top and bottom as well as across the length of the tank..picture coming soon!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts