Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Well probly only like 3. A 55 is pretty small though for spilos. They are quite agressive and grow very fast. Mine 10 have grown 2.5 inches in 3 months. Expect almost "pygo like" growth.

~Dj

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I would just keep your reds. Spilos are quite aggressive and will need more room than reds. Unless you plan on getting a larger tank. I would put 2-3 spilos. Put plenty of covering.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm actually in the process of building a 300g acrylic tank. So, I guess 2-3 would just be a start. I already have the acrylic paid for. How many little guys can I keep in the 55g until then?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I dont know how experanced you are with piranhas, so this is just my opion. I think you'd be better off with the reds.. the spilos will be alot more aggressive towards each other and may end up with just one, they must be fed twice a day, and have alot of room as well as hiding spots.. like said they also grow quick.. if your gonna do it stick with 2-3 untill the big tank is done.. Also keep guppies and or feeders in the tank with them as dithers..

MAD

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem. I've got a feeder tank with hundreds of guppies. Can't go wrong... Twice a day, really? How much do they eat at each feeding?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
as much as they can eat in 5 mins. should work, but thats what the feeders are for, if they get hungry they will chase and eat them not eachother..

MAD

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Sell your Reds, buy some Caribas!

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
reds,cause you can shoal them together.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm pretty sure I have the reds sold to a good home. The thing is I can't afford anything other than spilos. Unless of course... I take donations
LOL There's a thought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts