Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
After about a week of trying to get them to accept that Cichlid Gold pellets are in fact food, it seems that I have successfuly switched them. There are alot of benifits to having them be able to take pellets as a food source, such as added nutrients, added coloration (due to cichlid gold), and the ability to set up an automatic feeder in the case if I leave for a few days. I live in LA since I am a student, but frequently travel to San Francisco area since that is where I am from. Last time I went home, I could not leave my fish for more then 3 days, since that was the max number of days that I expected 30 large feeders to stick around in the tank. Now I can have an automatic feeder set up with pellets. This also puts alot less bio load on the tank.

The way that I did it was to deny the spilos meat products as food. I just offered them pellets for 3 days. This was kinda risky and I had to keep an eye on them because if these spilos got too hungry, they would easily turn on each other. After offering the pellets and if they did not take them, I would remove an floating ones after about 15 minutes. Not to remove them because I thought they might put bio load on my tank. Instead i did it because I wanted them to see the food as such since I feed them at the same time every morning. They are almost conditioned to recognize me as their food source in the morning, so if i offered the pellets only in the morning, then I would have a higher chance they would take it.

After the second day of offereing the pellets I got worried they were getting too hungry, so i offered one large feeder to suppliment them. The third day they still did not take the pellets, and the same with the forth day. The fifth morning,this morning, they began taking them. They are still a little reluctant to hit food that is floating, but givin a few more days of only pellets, I believe they will have no problem taking them in the future. My fish are all about 3 inches, some over some under. I have been giving them cichlid gold medium sized pellets.

Hope this helped for some people having trouble with their fish taking pellets.

~Dj

·
Registered
431 Posts
Good stuff man. I have gotten my spilo to take pellets as well. But the thing is I have to crucsht hem up for them to sink down to him. I mean they float if you just put them in the water normal. I have the mini pellets. ANythign else you can say? I guess that whole automatic feeder thing would be pretty tight but, I just dont want him to get hooked on pelletsa. I want himt o be able to chase down feeders and still take meat. Thats the only thing I am scared of.

So when you drop the food in, they come to the top of the tank to feed?

I have noticed that my guy had gotten a lot mroe aggressive, like when he sees a piece of a lettet in the water he doesnt just go up to it and eat it, it like darts out from behind a plant and takes it to the other side of the tank to eat it. And thats how he eats everything now

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I find that mine does not really like the cichlid pellets that much but however i have it on the Shrimp pellets and it loves those and the ones I have are nutrient enriched which makes for a good complete meal :smile:

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never thought of crushing them up to get them to sink. Mine do hit the pellets at the top of the water. They seem kinda hesitant, but the do it vey quick, then bring it back down.

·
"Got Mice?"
204 Posts
I had a package of the Hikari Cichlid Gold's but returned it after noticing that my P's don't really go for anything that floats. I could try experimenting like what you did DJ and see if they would take the floating pellets but I was thinking of just getting those sinking pellets the New Life Spectrum. I'd try those. I thought I read on the container that they sink.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine are still kinda teluctant to take them. Perhaps I have usuing pellets that are too old and large in size. I think this bag was used for my reds I had about 4 years ago. Think there is a shelf life on this stuff? Maybe the fish can tell..... hahahah

This morning they did not take the pellets. I can tell that they are hitting it, but i think because of the size they cannot swallow it so they let it go. I will go to my LFS and pick up a bag of smaller pellets later and keep everyone posted on how it goes.

~Dj

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I was able to convert my spilo on to cichlid gold by keeping that set feeding time. Best way to do it for single fish is to skip a few feedings, but you can hardly do that with a shoal of canibalistic spilos!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts