Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was leaving my apartment today, when I glanced at my spilos tank and noticed this guy. He was angled kinda finny in the back of the tank, kinda vertical-ish. Ive seen him like this before, so I didnt really think to much of it. I looked closer for some reason and noticed he had a bite taken out of his back. I think he has been like this for a while, but before I just thought his scales were a little funny in that area and did not shine like the rest. I turned on the light, which I never do, and got a closer look. This one has a pertty good sized bite taken out of his back. Nothing serious, but a testiment to the aggression of spilos in the same tank.

Schooling spilos is not an easy task to undertake. Im glad it didnt go any further then this.

~Dj

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Usually aggression is in the form of tail nips. Twice I had to seperate on due to severe tail damage that went into the flesh. This is the first time something like this has happend. Its expected though. just wanted to share.

~Dj

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
No, spilos do not school well. Piranhas in general don't school in the true sense of the word. Spilos even less so. I've yet to see a nice looking "school" of spilos, they're usually quite nipped up. Good luck with him though. :smile:

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Keep always an eye into your tank...you can try low tank temp to decrease aggression!

Very hard to school Spilos...anything can happen!

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tank temp is a steady 80 degrees. I know that aggression could be lowered if goldfish are allowed to be in the tank at all times to give the spilos something to cahse. I dont really like haveing goldfish in the tank. They are nasty little things.

All in all it is pretty sweet to have a school of spilos, although there are some that are pretty beat up. Out of 10, maybe 3-4 are always "less then perfect". Most of them are usualy in prettty good condition.

~Dj

·
Registered
394 Posts
Okay, now I'm a little bit nervous about getting three or four for my 90g, once they get big aren't they going to kill eachother, or by this time will they already have gotten use to eachother. I don't want to sell my rhom if they are going to kill eachother.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RHOM - With spilos there are not gauruntees. Things can go either way.

~Dj

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, espeacially at this size. Thats why i gave up on dithers. I hate restocking the tank with dithers every other day because they all get killed. IM a poor college student...

~Dj

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.