Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 48 gallon bow front tank that is soon to be empty. i have one african cichlid in there right now, and a bala shark. The african is sick and i doubt will live much longer, i think the bala has been picking on him. i want to put in a serra of some sort (once the others have died), but worry that the tank may be too small. don't want to upgrade for at least a year. what should i do?????

· Registered
18,153 Posts
If you buy a small Serra, you can choose whatever species you want (perhaps except an Elong or Manny, depending on the tank's foot print) - provided you are going to upgrade sooner or later.
If you want to keep a fish in there for life, pick one of the smaller species: Sanchezi, Irritans or Medinai (if you manage to find one), for example.

· Registered
555 Posts
You might be able to get away with a smaller serra species like a Mac or a Spilo for a year. I personally would go for a gold spilo as they grow slowly and aren't that big. You can only get away with it in a 48 gal for a year if you buy it small. You can get baby spilos near here for $17.00 Canadian.

· Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
elTwitcho said:
That's a different story entirely. Not too many piranhas will do that great in there for very long, maybe a baby rhom as they grow fairly slow but that's about it.

You could look into a wimple piranha if you can find one anywhere, they're pretty similar to piranhas and are small as well.
[snapback]873817[/snapback]​
thanks eltwitcho.. it is much appreciated, maybe i can make it a feeder tank instead for my pygo shoal??? we'll see...............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.