Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Looking for help on a 3 things for a new setup...thought about starting 3 threads, but decided to just put it all in one...please forgive the long read...

I'm hoping to get a 100 or 125 gallon fw tank soon, with 1 or two piraya and then 3 or 4 caribes, for a total max of 5, and a bunch of plants and some driftwood.

First: I'm looking for some help on what people think would provide the best balance between great filtration and minimal maintenence. I read the pinned article on filters, but I only have personal experience with the AC power externals like the 500's, so I don't know if I'm missing out by not using a cannister or a wet/dry instead, or how much maintenence/mess is involved with the them? Cost is not really a concern; just quality & low maintenance...

Can anyone tell me if they would you rather have all one type, or a mix, and why? i was thinking of just getting 2 AC 500's and powerheads, but your advice is very welcome...

Second: For plants, how do you know what constitues a heavily planted tank? Like, at what point do I need to add co2? I'd rather just have 2 watts of light per gallon; the co2 sounds complicated and more commitment of time needed.

Third: What is the coldest room temperature that you think a tank that size can be kept in and still have a heater keep the water warm enough for the p's? Was thinking of putting it in my basement - it's furnished, but the heat isn't exactly all that great in the winter (like maybe 55 or 60 degrees). Would I need a couple of heaters to keep the water temp up?

Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Scrap5000 said:
First: I'm looking for some help on what people think would provide the best balance between great filtration and minimal maintenence.
Eheim canisters require the least maintenance but they are pricey.

Second: For plants, how do you know what constitues a heavily planted tank? Like, at what point do I need to add co2? I'd rather just have 2 watts of light per gallon; the co2 sounds complicated and more commitment of time needed.
2 watts a gallon isn't much for live plants. Look for low-light plants if you have your heart set on them. Wether a tank is heavily planted is a personal opinion. Make sure you have open areas for the Ps to swim. Co2 systems are costly. There are some DIY Co2 instructions on the web but they do not create a consistent or timely amount of Co2 to make it worthwhile.

Third: What is the coldest room temperature that you think a tank that size can be kept in and still have a heater keep the water warm enough for the p's?
Thanks everyone!!
[snapback]952324[/snapback]​
My 100G tank is in my basement. I keep the thermostat at 65 degrees fahrenheit during the night and the tank stays at 82 degrees with a 200W heater! Larger tanks have less temperature fluctuations. It takes almost 24 hours for my tank to drop a few degrees during power failures.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Natt King Shoal said:
Scrap5000 said:
First: I'm looking for some help on what people think would provide the best balance between great filtration and minimal maintenence.
Eheim canisters require the least maintenance but they are pricey.

2 watts a gallon isn't much for live plants. Look for low-light plants if you have your heart set on them. Wether a tank is heavily planted is a personal opinion. Make sure you have open areas for the Ps to swim. Co2 systems are costly. There are some DIY Co2 instructions on the web but they do not create a consistent or timely amount of Co2 to make it worthwhile.

Third: What is the coldest room temperature that you think a tank that size can be kept in and still have a heater keep the water warm enough for the p's?
Thanks everyone!!
[snapback]952324[/snapback]​
My 100G tank is in my basement. I keep the thermostat at 65 degrees fahrenheit during the night and the tank stays at 82 degrees with a 200W heater! Larger tanks have less temperature fluctuations. It takes almost 24 hours for my tank to drop a few degrees during power failures.

Good Luck!
[snapback]953195[/snapback]​
Thanks a mill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts