Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,988 Posts
Hello All,

Since we have very large new members in here lately, lots of question are being asked. I would like to share some of my "knowledge" experience about pgyo...Instead of going to different forum and search for your answer or post a topic and ask question. I would like to give most of all information in the thread as possible. This is just my 2Cent about pygo and how I would treat and raie my pygo.

Pygocentrus are Red Bellies, Piraya , Caribe, and Tern.

How many pygo in a tank?
General rule it 20gallon per tank swimming space, over 12" or bigger would requried 40gallon space.

How fast can pygo grow with well taken care?
With good care, well fed, good water parameter, big tank,etc..pygo can grow 6-7" in the first year, and about 1-3" every year after that.

How many time, and what should I feed my pygo?
baby-small 2-3time a day
medium 1-2 time a day
adult large piranha once a day or every other day...Just keep in mind that piranha in the wild don't get fed every day, but with lots of room and space to swim and very clean water from the rain season..it can grow big and fast. Food...should be raw shrimp, catfish, talapia, pellets, silverside, smelt, beef heart, blood worm, etc....Be sure to feed your pygo variety food and changce thier diet weekly. Do not leave any uneaten food over night, and not more the 30min. eat or not just take it out and try the next day.

What are the temp. PH should it be?
All piranha temp should be around 76-82f..PH should be between 6.0-8.0..
When you running a high temp with a group of pygo, make sure to keep your eyes out for aggression..high temp will make them active and get more aggressive. But the more active thier are the more they will eat and grow faster. With low temp will be less aggressive, not seeing any active movement from your piranha.

How much filteration and water change should I do?
Well!..To say the more the better, but you don't want to over kill the your tank. If you water are cystal clear and you don't do any water change! It wrong, you should do weekly water change. min 25% and max 50% not more then that. Also your vacuum gravel are very important part of water change, it remove uneaten food, etc...under your gravel.

My pygo are sick, ill, injury what and how should I treat them?
Aquarium Salt! is best for treatment...start off with salt first..any bit, fin nip, a bit etc...1 tablesoon for every 5 gallon. it good for not having infection and make the piranha heal faster. You want to take the sick, ill piranha out from the tank and put in a hospital tank. why? because other piranha will to over the aggression with the sick, ill piranha are weak. It will eat, kill or bite them, and other reason is you don't know what exactly happen to the ill piranha to avoid other piranha get sick move it to hospital. If salt does work try melafix!...to remove the salt and melafix from hopital tank just do a water change.

Ok I think you guys/gurls have enough boring, pointless post of mine...I'll stop here for now. Just a general question and answer for you..Hope this help the new member try to ask and find answer. For those of you who are experienced you would prob. laugh at me now.:laugh:

FYI: you don't have to follow what I've said or post here, this is just my 2cent. Tanks for your time

·
Registered
750 Posts
I agree with everything just about excpet for the fact (and it is a fact) that melafix is better as an all around multipurpose treatment than salt. Melafix is especially superior in healing wounds extra fast (salt can do the opposite on an open wound and cause irritation hence the saying "rubbing salt in a cut"
)

and also I like to keep my aquarium temps higher and provide good aeration, and another great thing is to put tinfoil with slits in it under the light day hours. It more realistically mimics the amazonian biotopes, and they are MUCH less skittish in this type of lighting. I leave about 6" on my 36" twin tube uncovered for the plants at 1 end.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great info! The sad fact is you will see the same questions asked again and again that you have just answered. I agree, it should be pinned. Maybe some people will see it then since they can't seem to figure ouy the search feature here.

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great info! The sad fact is you will see the same questions asked again and again that you have just answered. I agree, it should be pinned. Maybe some people will see it then since they can't seem to figure ouy the search feature here.
Sad but true

·
Registered
271 Posts
Lots of good info there thanks alot 2P.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
to Saved Topics. To all Newbs who see this > Also click on the F.A.Q. button on top of the web page. Alot of good info there for alot of general questions.

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
As a general guide I guess it is fine..however I dont agree with the feeding recommendations...I feed much less then you suggest..... or water change schedule...It should be based on the bio-load of the tank and often I do more then 50% changes a week.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Very organized!

But I don't think piranha could be kept @pH 8.0. That's a too "stressed".

Also, I don't think 50% is a MAX WEEKLY W/C! For a goup of pygos, I think W/C should be way more than 50% WEEKLY. I do 25% evry other day, or 10%-15% daily.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I agree with everything just about excpet for the fact (and it is a fact) that melafix is better as an all around multipurpose treatment than salt. Melafix is especially superior in healing wounds extra fast (salt can do the opposite on an open wound and cause irritation hence the saying "rubbing salt in a cut"
)

and also I like to keep my aquarium temps higher and provide good aeration, and another great thing is to put tinfoil with slits in it under the light day hours. It more realistically mimics the amazonian biotopes, and they are MUCH less skittish in this type of lighting. I leave about 6" on my 36" twin tube uncovered for the plants at 1 end.
I really like the tin foil tip I'm gonna give that a shot!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.