Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently bought a 8-9 inch red belly for my new tank. The tank is only a 36 gallon, but is better for him then the 20 i have. My question is this, will he still behave agressively? I know Red Bellies are a scholing fish, but I don't want to cram the tank with 3, and don't want two you know why! The store I purchased him from was great, and said he should be totally fine in the 36 and if I really wanted to could have kept him in the 20. He was in with 4 other in a 75 gallon and they feed them a giant pond koi and it was a dissaster, the koi got torn up in like 5 seconds
Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Usually, having only one redbelly in a tank is a pretty boring (or should I say disappointing...) experience, but for each rule there are exceptions. I think you made a good decision by keeping him all by his lonesome. Just give him some time to adjust: maybe he'll be one hell of an entertaining beast. He has the tank space for it.
If he remains shy, you might consider upgrading your tank, and getting 2 or 3 more reds. If that's no option, you could always retuen him to the lfs or sell him, and maybe replace him with a spilo or another smaller serrasalmus piranha...

Good luck, and keep us posted, k?

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
ncith said:
I currently bought a 8-9 inch red belly for my new tank. The tank is only a 36 gallon, but is better for him then the 20 i have. My question is this, will he still behave agressively? I know Red Bellies are a scholing fish, but I don't want to cram the tank with 3, and don't want two you know why! The store I purchased him from was great, and said he should be totally fine in the 36 and if I really wanted to could have kept him in the 20. He was in with 4 other in a 75 gallon and they feed them a giant pond koi and it was a dissaster, the koi got torn up in like 5 seconds
Any suggestions would be great.
u are right about them schoaling.reds are better in a group ausuly dont get that much fury with just one.and dont forget most lfs imployes are dum

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
100% agree, you should buy a bigger tank and more Reds for shoal...meanwhile it will be fine in 36g but shy...!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.