Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
that is some good news. I know that some are dead, but hope that we get the rest of them alive. Good post!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
couldn't find this information anywhere else,nowhere else descibes the condition she was in when they found her.

NEAR NASSIRIYA, Iraq (April 2) - U.S. special forces rescued a female U.S. Army soldier held captive for 10 days and recovered the bodies of two other soldiers in a midnight raid on an Iraqi hospital, officials said on Wednesday.

The rescued soldier was identified as Private First Class Jessica Lynch, 19, from Palestine, West Virginia. She was with a maintenance convoy ambushed by Iraqi forces on March 23.

Captain Jay La Rossa, spokesman for the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit, said Lynch had two broken legs and one broken arm, but was stable and in good condition.

La Rossa said special forces also found the bodies of two U.S. soldiers and eight Iraqis. He said the identities of the Americans were not known but they were thought to be among those ambushed with Lynch's group last month.

Military sources said U.S. Marines staged a decoy attack in Nassiriya to allow special forces to rescue Lynch from the hospital in the southern city where U.S.-led forces have faced stiff resistance from Iraqi fighters.

"U.S. Marines sent a large force led by tanks and armored personnel carriers to hit targets in the center of the city and to seize a key bridge over the Euphrates while the hospital raid was under way," a military source said.

Brigadier General Vincent Brooks announced the rescue at command headquarters in Qatar at around 3 a.m. local time (midnight GMT Tuesday), telling reporters in a prepared statement:

"Coalition forces have conducted a successful rescue mission of a U.S. Army prisoner of war held captive in Iraq...The soldier has been returned to a coalition-controlled area."

LYNCH CONVOY ATTACKED

Lynch was one of 15 soldiers listed missing, captured or killed when a 507th Ordnance Maintenance Company convoy made a wrong turn and came under attack from Iraqi tanks and fighters.

Five of the captives, but not Lynch, were shown on Iraqi television as well as the bloodied bodies of up to eight men, prompting President George W. Bush to warn Iraqis they would be punished as "war criminals" if they mistreated U.S. prisoners.

Jim Wilkinson, a spokesman for U.S. commander General Tommy Franks, said of the other POWs: "I can't get into operational details, but we have a lot more work to do. We have a lot more POWs that we are still worried about."

Wilkinson said Lynch was rescued around midnight Iraq time (4:00 PM ET Tuesday).

A military source told a Reuters reporter traveling with the Marines near Nassiriya the facility where Lynch was being held was called the Saddam Hospital and was one mile north of the Euphrates river which runs through the city.

The Marines' decoy attack involved a number of targets, including an artillery and air attack on a Baath party headquarters, which the source said was destroyed.

They also hit the home of a local Baath party official, a telecommunications cable repeater station and a headquarters of the Fedayeen paramilitary organisation.

"These were all destroyed," the source said, adding that there were no injuries on the Marine side, which met little or no resistance from Iraqi forces.

"THAT'S GREAT"

"America doesn't leave its heroes behind. It never has, it never will," Wilkinson said of the operation.

In Washington, White House spokeswoman Suzy DeFrancis said President Bush was informed of the rescue in an afternoon briefing by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and reacted by saying: "That's great."

Jean Offutt, spokeswoman for the U.S. military at Fort Bliss, Texas, where Lynch was based, said she understood Lynch had spoken with her parents. "They are very happy to hear from her, joyful."

"The fact that she was found gives a lot of the other parents hope," she added.

The military told the family Lynch had "walked into an Iraqi hospital" after going missing, but "we were told nothing else," relative Terri Edwards told Reuters.

Copyright 2003 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.

·
.pocketful of sunshine.
16,831 Posts
Damn, shes only 19 and had to go through all that...yikes! Hopefully, she showed them a little bit of what we call PMS...
Thats good they were able to get her back though...

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Dang, only 19. Hope she doesnt have PTSD because of this, for the rest of her life

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
The pictures of her being taken out are fairly frightening. She looks completely freaked out but I am glad she is at least alive. I hope she can recover from her 3 bullet wounds and broken limbs and try to assemble a normal life.

West Virginia represent.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There now saying she might be the only one from that group to be alive. or to be recovered at all.

Sad but glad to see she will be going home.

MAD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.