Piranhas Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
24,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
evil camel said:
TANKS A LOT ACESTRO YOU JUST SAVED ME SOME MONEY AND A LOOOOOOT OF TIME!
A COUPLE MORE HOURS AND IT WOULD OF BEEN TO LATE

[snapback]869194[/snapback]​
YES! That's what we're here for!

·
Registered
231 Posts
ive bred bettas before its real easy I used the small fry for my cousins baby rhoms as major nutrition it takes a few weeks but its pretty much worth it instead of risking pet store feeders

·
Don't f*ck with the fairy.
5,168 Posts
Anko said:
ive bred bettas before its real easy I used the small fry for my cousins baby rhoms as major nutrition it takes a few weeks but its pretty much worth it instead of risking pet store feeders
[snapback]1008711[/snapback]​
the problem with betta fry is males have a nasty habit of not being reliable with raising the fry. you'll think you're all in the clear and then one morning you wake up and the fry, nest, and any trace of them are gone.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I always wanted to breed feeders///////// It's a bitch buyin them like every few days

Quarantine tanks are useful not only for safety, but to minimize trips to the lfs to keep buying feeders.

·
Registered
920 Posts
ok, I didn't use the quote function correctly, but anyway, you get the idea. Also, I found if you want to breed something and get the most bang for your buck and have an easy time, breed crickets. All I do is keep a reptile water bowl and a bunch of oats and grain I keep replacing in a 20 gallon. They multiply like mad and grown like crazy. The water dish is easy for them to climb out of since it has rough edges , so they dont drown(if you use tupperware, or anything smooth, they will drown in it. This keeps a constant supply of crickets. Also you dont have the hassle of having to try and save offspring from cannibalism. I would, however, keep them somewhere where noise would not be an issue.

·
Registered
340 Posts
i wouldent breed feeders my bro tried he bought 10 guppies 3 male 7 female and in 6 moths they had like he had onlye 100 good feeder fish so i would not recemend it

·
Registered
52 Posts
Figuers... I read this after i go out and get all the stuff for breeding convicts.
so whats the average growth time for convicts to reach feeder size?

·
DOC#003162
15,011 Posts
Figuers... I read this after i go out and get all the stuff for breeding convicts.
so whats the average growth time for convicts to reach feeder size?
im not sure of a cons growth rate but i would really depend

on how big the fish are you are feeding,

do you have a camera, it would be cool to document the growth rate

of convicts to feeder size for a little visual help for this thread

·
Registered
52 Posts
im not sure of a cons growth rate but i would really depend

on how big the fish are you are feeding,

do you have a camera, it would be cool to document the growth rate

of convicts to feeder size for a little visual help for this thread
hmmm... i guess we will find out how long they take.
and forsure ill take some pictures along the way to record there growth rate.

·
Registered
64 Posts
See I have five tanks, 2 29 gallon tanks, and 3 10 gallon tanks. I use one 29 gallon for my Oscar, and the other for my two pirahna. (I originally had 3 but one died, I intend to get 2 more on Tuesday, and a bigger tank when they become bigger fish.) My girlfriend has 20 bettas in seperate glass jars that she wants to use for breeding, one of the 10 gallons is devoted to breeding, we're going to be buying another one for housing the young later. One of the 10 gallon tanks I use for a quarantine tank when I buy feeders from the store, and the other 10 gallon tank will be used for breeding guppies that my girlfriend wants to breed. Inadvertantly, because of my girlfriend's love for these other fish, I will get feeders for my rbp's and oscar through her culls. If you're going to breed though, always keep a quarantine take while you're waiting for the breeding pairs.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
breeding in general is hard. not the act but the raising of fry is soooooooooo hard. like it was said before molly are your best best but even they eat their young. I bought a handful of molly to feed to my p so i threw them all in together. after about a week i though my piranha were fraking out cuz they would sprint in weird directions often. as i looked closer i saw mini black fish swimming. after the parents got the boot the p got a good exercise getting the tiny ones. the filter took out a couple also

·
Registered
425 Posts
How long do you all quarantine the feeders before using them? I have a quarantine tank now (10 gallon) and I have had rosy reds in there a week now--are they good to feed yet?

·
these cold eyes lock much wonder...
5,532 Posts
ok reading what i read i came up with a few plains,,,,,numer 1 ghost shrimp thay are eazy to raise right,,,how come no one said any thang about them?? and number 2 i wanta breed cons, but herd you kneed lots of tanks to row out the young,,,,,

how bout i just go to wally world and get some 20-30 gallons sized rubber made boxs insted of tanks that would realy cost to much??? what ya think?

iam gettin boried with just a piranha and a 75g tank i wanta expand my mined in the fish keepn world
and make some homegrown food for him in the mean time.

·
I will bite your face!
7,716 Posts
just about everything you can think of will take a stupid amount of time to grow. Its really easier and more worth it to just get feerder guppies rather then breeding them. I recently tried both cons and guppies.Only giving them a 10 gal to do their thing in. I got one batch of each. the cons bred in the main tank and did well for a while but it too too long for them to grow and they got picked off before they had a chance.
Guppies. Same thing. After 3 weeks waiting for them to grow. I decided to just throw all 15 babies in the main tank in the hopes that they would keep cover long enough to get some size on them. the ones that didn't head right to the overflow got picked off quick. either way both attempts were futile. Unless you can find something that grows to a decent size within a week then its really not worth the hassel. I've given up on feeders. really don't need them now that the ATFs gone. but if I were to need soem I'd just hit the pet store up.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts