Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
they are not bad, but neither are they good.
they may eat your plants, but I was never too botherd by them.
If the problem does get out of hand you can get chemicals which kill them and not your fish.
off the top of my head - snail away from interpet

Oh, and welcome to the site, I love your avatar!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Innes said:
they are not bad, but neither are they good.
they may eat your plants, but I was never too botherd by them.
If the problem does get out of hand you can get chemicals which kill them and not your fish.
off the top of my head - snail away from interpet

Oh, and welcome to the site, I love your avatar!
Im with Innes on this one. Depending on the kind of snails.. they can either be helpful in your tank, be destructive, or just a niusance when they multiply out of control.

SnailAway and Snailicide will do good to kill 'em off and not harm your Ps one bit.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
Hoover liked to latch on to my fish, and before he multiplied really bad in my friends tank and then kevin put his rhom in that tank and he didn't use the tank for like a week or two. There was no water in it but magically the snails were there again. So he had to get some stuff to get rid of the snails. Some tend to need special diets in order to stay healthy like with their shells. You have to feed them spinache.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I bought 20 snails from ebay and split them up between 4 tanks and have yet to see any babies. This is over 3 months ago.

Rhomzilla: What do you mean by "kinds of snail"? Do you mean like a certain species of them or what? I thought a snail is a snail <shrug>.

Everybody tells me they multiply like rabbits, etc. but mine arnt, are ALL species of snails asexual or what?

·
18,487 Posts
ezlife said:
Rhomzilla: What do you mean by "kinds of snail"? Do you mean like a certain species of them or what? I thought a snail is a snail <shrug>.
Im not the expert on knowing the common or scientific name of these snails. I know off hands that the large ones you buy at LFS aren't the kinds im talking about. The ones most people are referring to are tiny as most gravel, black, pointed but round shelled, and usually move pretty fast. I never bought these snails, but accidently came in the same bag of feeders from a LFS. Also, one of the employees told me that these snails usually come with feeders when shipped to help maintain and eliminate alot of watses from goldfishes when being shipped. I had a pix of it on PFish, but the pix got erased.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Rhomzilla,

Ok i know what your talking about. I remember a few times i bought plants at petsmart or walmart and after i took apart the lead weight, there were some small gravel size snails like you are talking about.

Do you (or anybody else) knwo about those big snails if they multiply? I always thought the small gravel size ones will grow into the large ones, but i dunno.

·
18,487 Posts
ezlife said:
Rhomzilla,

Ok i know what your talking about. I remember a few times i bought plants at petsmart or walmart and after i took apart the lead weight, there were some small gravel size snails like you are talking about.

Do you (or anybody else) knwo about those big snails if they multiply? I always thought the small gravel size ones will grow into the large ones, but i dunno.
I, for one, dont have any idea on snails. BUt you might want to make a new thread pertaining info on snails species. I know off hand that some PFury members have mentioned and have different kinds of snails which they've bred or just have in their tanks.

Good Luck bro!!!

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
salt is for slugs does it work on snails too? There are many different kinds of snails.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm for snails. I used to have one that I won at a church youth group thing.. (What a prize!) I threw him in my aquarium I had at the time, and he got massive!! like 3-4 inches (I think that's big for a snail) If you don't have plants, I'd keep it. This snail climbed all over my hand when I put it in the tank, and ate lettuce and those spirula tablets. My pleco and him used to fight over them! Yeah, he eventually died somehow.

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
i just noticed that i had snails in two of my tanks i only seen one in each so far but will be watching thats probably why my plants keep falling apart
i thought it was because i wasn't watering them enough
can snails kill rbp eggs

·
Registered
71 Posts
a few time i have got some plants form my local pet store and had snail eggs on it. i notice them when there was about 100 samll snails crawling in my tank. most of them deid and left a mees of shells all over the bottom of my tank. thay can be a pain.

·
joey&#39;d is da man
14,077 Posts
ezlife said:
The large ones are apple snails A handy apple snail link
I have kept these in my fishtank along with 1 teaspoon of salt for every 3 gallons.
Another handy snail link

·
18,487 Posts
LizKnockedIt said:
Snails react the same as slugs to salt. Yep.
But in water?? I know what happens to a slug when you put salt in 'em, but when you pour salt in your tank, it dissolves and spreads out through your water current. Also your tank is already inhabited with little Sodium iIodize.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
Yes big snails multiply, all snails I believe multiply because they are asexual. I could be wrong but most snails are.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I thought that they might react to that whole ''teaspon for five gallons'' thing. ''Land'' snails are very sensitive to salt-- even the salt on your skin can harm them. Apple snails and such have probably made adaptations for living in water. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.