Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
my lfs said i have a bacterial bloom which is causing the cloudy water in my tank but had no ideas what to do . do you guys have any ideas as to #1 what causes this and #2 how to get rid. please help.
Get a UV in for your tank. Same thing happend to me.

·
my sister is #1 best prostitute
10,514 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
what and this will sort the prob yeah ? my old tank never had this prob tho why? i have done nothing different at all and used the same external filter
I have Ps for over 10yrs and mine just happened this year.

·
These colours don't run !
4,895 Posts
post a pic if possible. your average lfs staff knows sweet f.a. (in england anyway)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have no cam at the mo split with the wife and she got the lot even my hair clippers ha ha. bestway i can describe it is if i look at the front of the tank its quite cloudy like a white mist but from the side i cant even see the middle of the tank

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
my lfs said i have a bacterial bloom which is causing the cloudy water in my tank but had no ideas what to do . do you guys have any ideas as to #1 what causes this and #2 how to get rid. please help.
1) It is caused by an ammonia/nitrite spike...not uncommon in tanks without enough biological filtration to support the fish load. The bacterial bloom isn't usually harmful unless you don't have enough circulation to ensure adequate oxygen supply.

2) It usually goes away on its own if biological filtration is adequate. If not you need to improve your biological filters and/or biological filter media. Water changes can actually prolong the problem, especially if your water supply has extra nutrients in it.

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
Bacteria also lives in your gravel and decorations, so if you rinsed or replaced that (or your filter media), you knocked out some of your biological filtration. Also, if you upgraded the tank size, the filter may not have enough gph to filter the waste out fast enough.

What size tank, and what filter are you using?

Did you clean the filter and media, or change the fitler media when you swapped it?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i never touched the filter it is capable of running with tanks my size which is 90 gallon. it went cloudy as soon as i filled it up and i never added the filter until 2 days after it was filled which means to me that it could be chalk or something im not sure i did add tapsafe as normal

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
i never touched the filter it is capable of running with tanks my size which is 90 gallon. it went cloudy as soon as i filled it up and i never added the filter until 2 days after it was filled which means to me that it could be chalk or something im not sure i did add tapsafe as normal
It's hard to have a bacterial bloom immediately...sounds more like a substrate issue (especially if you didn't add the fish until you added the filter).

It also could be both depending on previous tank size and if you substrate is new.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
i have put in sand this time and washed it thoroughly so i just have no idea whats going on. is it the sand?
The key with sand is to have an empty tank, dump the sand in, then slowly fill with hose pointing at glass. Otherwise, you get what you see. It will clear up eventually. Just need to monitor your filter motors in case they start grinding especially the impellers. Small daily water changes would help you out as long as the cloudiness is not associated with an ammonia/nitrite spike "new tank syndrome".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.