Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Yahoo.Com

Can Snoring Kill You?

No, I'm not talking about the thoughts that have raced through your bed partner's mind! I'm talking about obstructive sleep apnea.
Approximately five out of every 100 snorers have sleep apnea (that's 2-4 percent of the adult population in America). For most people, snoring is just an annoyance, but for sufferers of sleep apnea, snoring can be a significant alarm system.

People with sleep apnea have short periods during sleep where they stop breathing. These periods last anywhere from 10 seconds to 40 seconds and can occur as many as 400 times per night. If you do the math, this means that the average person with sleep apnea spends more than three hours a night not breathing normally or not breathing at all. That can't be healthy.

It's not.

Symptoms of sleep apnea include:

Loud snoring
Choking sounds during sleep
Falling asleep during the day
Trouble with memory and attention
Irritability
Decreased libido
Impotency in men and menstrual irregularities in women
Heartburn
Dry mouth in the morning
Morning headaches
Do you recognize these symptoms in yourself or your loved one? Persons with sleep apnea have a higher death rate than the average person, are five times more likely to be in a fatigue-related car accident, are 10 times more likely to have a stroke, and have high rates of hypertension and cardiac arrhythmias.

Snoring is one of those things that we don't tend to pay a lot of attention to. In fact, many people don't even bring it up when they talk to their doctor. An overnight sleep study is necessary to document sleep apnea, but, trust me - everyone will rest easier if the condition is treated properly.

Perhaps this is one item you should add to your new year's resolution list. Do any of you know anyone with sleep apnea? Or do you suffer from it yourself? If so, share your experiences.

·
Registered
55 Posts
2006-12-30

Yes, I have the condition (sleep apnea) - - mine is controlled by a dental appliance that holds the lower jaw forward so the airway does not close off. This device has made a huge difference.

With sleep apnea, there is no REM sleep . . . so there is a lot of grumpiness, and over all fatigue. One plus, however is that (when I was extremely tired) I could take a 10 minute nap and feel fully refreshed. One other physiological effect is a change in blood pH . . . with less breathing taking place, the body retains more Carbon Dioxide, therefore the blood acidifies (sounds like an aquarium, doesn't it). I don't remember if it is the build up of Carbon Dioxide or the acidification of the blood that triggers inhalation, but the body adjusts to the lower pH / build up of Carbon Dioxide (more extreme conditions are tolerated before the instinct to inhale is triggered), so that in itself probably has other negative effects on the body.

IF YOU SUSSPECT THAT YOU OR ANYONE THAT YOU CARE ABOUT HAS IT, GET CHECKED OUT BY A DOCTOR - - IF YOU MEET RESISTANCE FROM A LOVED ONE, THIS IS A PHYSICAL condition that can be treated, and will result in improved health all around.

Happy Sleeping & Happy New Year !!

Terry

·
Banned
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2007-01-01

Joined early 2006 with only 10 posts since then, I am glad the Dark Side has caught your attention...as it always does.

Thank you, for your reply Terry. I have this question I would like to ask you, fatigue, decreased libido, sleeping at day time....hmm, I must say that in my life I never ever thought that I would ever snore. I am unsure why exactly it started, not long ago....as I fell into depression, unable to continue my work out schedule, increasing in weight....only to wake up one morning to hear my worse news...

"You snored!" right at this moment I realized no woman would be seen by my side...at night I would be shaken being told I am snoring by my brother...,"when did I do that? I didn't hear...why does it happen? How do I stop it? I don't choose to snore...I cannot snore!" I whined in my thoughts...I felt helpless...once so strong, only watching myself breaking then...my hair receded a little, white hair out of nowhere...I slept at day time...feeling tired...as I was fallen in my sorrow, in darkness, loneliness...all from a Love lost...

I literally sleep 'dead'...going deep...I read people who are so relaxed can snore as the air tube becomes so narrow...I do not know the reason exactly, BUT TODAY I AM STRONG AGAIN! I realized pain is only there if I allow it! weakness...only if I let it take over myself...I shall never let anything strike me within..I must stay strong and I will!...I have become strong, I restarted my work out...I don't sleep at day, I feel very strong now, very active, alive...nothing shall be allowed to control me, nothing! I am Control, I am Power, I am Strength, I am the Force...I am the Mind..the Will...and I shall be unshakeable.

I may not be 100% now, but I promise I will rise and become better than ever, better than ever...The mind is everything, be the mind, and you shall defeat all things. For you Terry, I am glad you feel better now...take care.

·
Registered
55 Posts
2007-01-01

Joined early 2006 with only 10 posts since then, I am glad the Dark Side has caught your attention...as it always does.

Thank you, for your reply Terry. I have this question I would like to ask you, fatigue, decreased libido, sleeping at day time....hmm, I must say that in my life I never ever thought that I would ever snore. I am unsure why exactly it started, not long ago....as I fell into depression, unable to continue my work out schedule, increasing in weight....only to wake up one morning to hear my worse news...

"You snored!" right at this moment I realized no woman would be seen by my side...at night I would be shaken being told I am snoring by my brother...,"when did I do that? I didn't hear...why does it happen? How do I stop it? I don't choose to snore...I cannot snore!" I whined in my thoughts...I felt helpless...once so strong, only watching myself breaking then...my hair receded a little, white hair out of nowhere...I slept at day time...feeling tired...as I was fallen in my sorrow, in darkness, loneliness...all from a Love lost...

I literally sleep 'dead'...going deep...I read people who are so relaxed can snore as the air tube becomes so narrow...I do not know the reason exactly, BUT TODAY I AM STRONG AGAIN! I realized pain is only there if I allow it! weakness...only if I let it take over myself...I shall never let anything strike me within..I must stay strong and I will!...I have become strong, I restarted my work out...I don't sleep at day, I feel very strong now, very active, alive...nothing shall be allowed to control me, nothing! I am Control, I am Power, I am Strength, I am the Force...I am the Mind..the Will...and I shall be unshakeable.

I may not be 100% now, but I promise I will rise and become better than ever, better than ever...The mind is everything, be the mind, and you shall defeat all things. For you Terry, I am glad you feel better now...take care.

·
Registered
55 Posts
2006-12-31

Yes, the mind is everything - - but a bit of physical help from the dental appliance is okay too :rasp: !!

Lets face it, we hit 40 and muscle tone fades a bit (although I have heard of kids as young as 4 being diagnosed with sleep apnea - - very rare @ that age).

So, onwards & sideways - - good luck with your workout !!

Terry

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
snoring can be a symptom of Sleep Apnea. If you suspect a friend or loved one may have this, I would reccomend them having a sleep study done. Sleep apnea can be helped by surgery or using a C-pap machine when you sleep. for those who do not know what it is, you basically stop breatihing while you are sleeping.

I have learned quite a bit about it being in the life insurance industry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts