Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Will giant snails be able to survive with my red bellies. I want to put something in it to clean the glass and my lfs has huge snails there but they didnt know if they would be able to survive with p's. There about the size of an apple right now(snails). My p's are 3-5 inches

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Although I doubt your p's will have much interest in eating them, I would not use them as algae cleaners. Not only are snails ineffective, they will eventually spawn and you will have more snails than you desire in your tank. I'd recommend getting a larger sized pleco (assuming you have plenty of cover for it).

· ~ATLANTA BRAVES~
15,116 Posts
Phtstrat said:
Although I doubt your p's will have much interest in eating them, I would not use them as algae cleaners. Not only are snails ineffective, they will eventually spawn and you will have more snails than you desire in your tank. I'd recommend getting a larger sized pleco (assuming you have plenty of cover for it).
[snapback]866419[/snapback]​
An apple smail will not spawn if it is kept alone.

· Registered
15 Posts
We put snails in our tank a couple times and they never lasted very long. Only evidence I would ever find of a snail was its shell. The ones we put in weren't giant but I would just assume the same thing would happen. And you defiantly don't want those things to reproduce. I've had snails reproduce in my other tank (non-piranha) and they took the tank over and was real hard to get rid of all of them.

· Registered
103 Posts
Les&Josh said:
We put snails in our tank a couple times and they never lasted very long. Only evidence I would ever find of a snail was its shell. The ones we put in weren't giant but I would just assume the same thing would happen. And you defiantly don't want those things to reproduce. I've had snails reproduce in my other tank (non-piranha) and they took the tank over and was real hard to get rid of all of them.
[snapback]866568[/snapback]​

don't they keep the tank clean though?

· ~ATLANTA BRAVES~
15,116 Posts
Speedy said:
Snails "suck"......In a bad way!
I can't get rid of mine without using chemicals....Haven't yet, butstill tempted

Get a pleco!!!!
[snapback]867051[/snapback]​
What kind do you have?

· Registered
1,072 Posts
piranhaqueen said:
those little nasty snails come in almost every live plant I've bought.... I wonder if there is a way to treat the plants before putting them in the tank....
[snapback]867921[/snapback]​
yes, one part bleach to 20 parts water, dip your plants in for 2 minutes then soak generously and deposit in your tank.

thants the best way to kill any nasties on your plants.

makes ure no bleach is left on your plants though or you will have a sterile tank in hours.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.