Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question about snails.

my tank seems to be accumilating some algae, but in the tank is a 6 inch rhom and would obviously kill a pleco. would 1 snail be beneficial for the tank? its 90 gallons

i dont want to get more than one because they mate like crazy and i dont want a zillion snails wandering around.

also, most snails are hermaphrodites correct? except for apple, golden inca, four horned..etc??

so my question basically boils down to, would one non-hermaphrodite snail be beneficial?

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
I doubt one little snail would do much of a job at cleaning algae off a frikkin 90g.

And of course, if you get more than 1 snail, your fucked.

So i guess you might as well just throw the 1 snail in for the hell of it, but I wouldn't count on it clearing too much. the algae would prolly grow back faster than the snail could eat it.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Who said snails are safe from Ps?!?!? Those guys can and will get eatten!!! But honestly, they would be the best to help clean your tank with a Rhom. Just make sure they're not hermaphrodites.. or else you'll regret!!!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i decided that even though just one snail may not clean off ALL the algae it is still better than none. and obviously like what was said before i cant get more than 1 cause the amount of snails in my tank will increase do to breeding.

i bought 1 apple snail at my lfs for $2. it is about 1.5 inches big. so i hope he will be okay in with my rhom for a lil while and if not oh well.

thanks for the advice guys

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
congrads....on yor new addition..hopefully your rhom doesn't consider him dinner...apple snails are very nice..use to have awhole bunch of them in with goldfish tank...

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
it will make no differance, but may look nice - congrats

·
Registered
175 Posts
You can get several apple snails if you like. They lay their eggs out of the water and can't reproduce if the water level is high. If you want apple snails to reproduce leave the top 2 inches of your tank empty. The eggs will drown if they are under water.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
If you get one snail they are more than likely to multiply, you can use them if you would like but then later your going to have a snail problem freshwater snails don't know when to quit. If you like snails go for it.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
My recommendation is Kill Them All, you will regret having snails in a short time...i don´t like this things and they poop more than they eat!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i did not know that about the eggs drowning, thanks MikeR. i still would be affraid that they would somehow reproduce and i have to deal with a snail problem.

i only bought 1 apple snail...apple snails are not hermaphrodites so it is not possible for just one to multiply, pcrose

its not really that i LIKE snails...i like the look of a few snails, but since they reproduce like crazy i would not want more than one unless i was positive about them all being the same sex. also, i wanted something that cleared off some algae so that i didnt always have to clean my tank with one of those magnetic things.

if i dont like this snail i can always take it out and smash it on the driveway!!
...j/k of course

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ill get a better pic when he is all the way out of his shell. he looks pretty cool when he's slithering around

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
they call those things gold moon snails at every lfs ive ever been to. I had one in my tank for awhile, till I got bored one day and took it out and fried it with a magnifying glass under the sun. It closed right up the minute the light-beam hit it, but after about 10 seconds there were lots of *pop* *crackle* sounds coming from inside the shell, followed shortly thereafter by smoke

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks Innes

the site "a handy apple snail link" is the link that i went to learn about apple snails before i decided to add one to my rhom tank.

very informative site

1 - 20 of 47 Posts