Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do smelt smell so bad??? I know they're not named smelt b/c of how they smell. Atleast I don't think so. Everytime I defrost them for my rbps I gag.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Why do smelt smell so bad??? I know they're not named smelt b/c of how they smell. Atleast I don't think so. Everytime I defrost them for my rbps I gag.
It seems like my rbp likes almost anything that smells. Krill, smelt, and tilapia all smell if you defrost them.
But if it doesnt smell, it wouldnt be tasteful to them....i guess

·
Registered
221 Posts
I guess it depends on the brand you get. I got some fresh ones and they absolutly stink. I've had 3 different types of frozen bagged ones (smelts with heads and others that are gutted without heads). The smelts that are gutted without heads actually do not smell much. I believe they are called "Omstead Cleaned Smelts". If you can find those pick them up cause they are not bad and all my fish love them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that's weird b/c I used to feed them whole smelt, now I buy the cleaned smelt and they smell even worse! If I can find it, I think I'll go back to the whole smelt. I think the guts and brain probably add a bit more nutrients.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well that's weird b/c I use

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.