Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have my 55 divided, with about a 3" oscar on one side and 7 nickel to dime size red bellies on the other. when is it safe (for the p's) to remove the divider?

i already lost 3 p's to my 2 bigger p's that have since been sold. my pleco made a run for the divider and knocked it loose and the babies made it through a gap...

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Introducing them at this early stage would be one of the best ways to have them grow up together for some time. Another good factor is that your Oscar at the momment is a little bigger than your Ps, which will help him survive until the Ps get too rowdy. Then again its the individuals which can only determine what can really happen..

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so do you think now would be good? my main concern is that the oscar might eat the piranhas. the p's are hardly paying attention to live food right now because they're so small. i threw some minnows in and they only attack when the minnow shoves its tail in their face!

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
rday said:
so do you think now would be good? my main concern is that the oscar might eat the piranhas. the p's are hardly paying attention to live food right now because they're so small. i threw some minnows in and they only attack when the minnow shoves its tail in their face!
becareful ..i would wait till they got a tad bit bigger...oscars have pretty big mouths and will try to shove all in it...

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
RhomZilla said:
Introducing them at this early stage would be one of the best ways to have them grow up together for some time.
I have to disagree a little bit, sorry Rhomzilla. I just don't think piranhas are programmed that way. They're more gut instinct than that and don't get conditioned the same way a cichlid would for example.

As far as keeping a oscar with numerous piranhas there is no garauntees it will work out in the long run. A pygo is a completely different animal when kept in a shoal than single. They're more BOLD.

A piranha with a group of oscars...maybe, but the other way around...very risky!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I agree, there is nothing guaranteed about Ps and their friends. I had a 30" Aussie Aro with five 6" reds. One day, when I was watching TV, one P bit the aro and the aro snapped at it in two and then the other four went into a frenzy and killed both the aro and the half dead P.

Learned my lesson. Nothing is safe.

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
Serrapygo said:
RhomZilla said:
Introducing them at this early stage would be one of the best ways to have them grow up together for some time.
I have to disagree a little bit, sorry Rhomzilla. I just don't think piranhas are programmed that way. They're more gut instinct than that and don't get conditioned the same way a cichlid would for example.

As far as keeping a oscar with numerous piranhas there is no garauntees it will work out in the long run. A pygo is a completely different animal when kept in a shoal than single. They're more BOLD.

A piranha with a group of oscars...maybe, but the other way around...very risky!
well at least u wasnt suprised 30" aro (sorry i think theyre bitches) and 5rbp ? and aros already can be punked easily wit other predatory fish i bet they messed his ass up something wicked!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think you are thinking of Silver and black aros. The aussie and asian aros will take a chunk out of your hand if you had it close enough. If you look at my aussie, you can see its little razor sharp teeth. Before, none of the Ps even went near the Aro, they all stayed at the bottom away from it and I thought everything was fine.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Serrapygo said:
RhomZilla said:
NO prob SerraPygo!!
I'm always open to disagreements with all my opinions. Im not always right and dont expect to be. No wrong to prove me wrong just to help out a member to get the right info.

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
NO prob SerraPygo!!
I'm always open to disagreements with all my opinions. Im not always right and dont expect to be. No wrong to prove me wrong just to help out a member to get the right info.
[/quote]
:smile: Didn't say you were wrong, just siad I disagreed. But only with that one statement. You give decent advice here and seem to know your stuff I've noticed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.