Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my two P's for about 3 weeks now. They are becoming less skittish as time goes, but they are still very timid. How long should I expect to wait before they become comfortable in their surroundings?

·
Registered
77 Posts
hey whats up cypher.i have hjad mine for about four weeks now,mine are only afraid of fast movements.if i creep up on them there ok. or when its feeding time,im pretty sure in a lil bit everybody will be giving you info on this subject. i think over time they will get more accustomed to their new home , late

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
14,634 Posts
Depending on the individual fish. Most Ps are skittish when young, after about 5" they get used to their surroundings in the tank as well as the activity outside the tank. Try reducing decors and/or turning up the heat in tha tank.

·
Registered
18,153 Posts
I have my reds about a year now (well one of them, the others since june last year), and they're not skittish anymore.
But they still dart around frantically when they get spooked: and getting spooked is a redbelly's second nature, so it seems
Nothing you can do about it: it's survival instinct!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
RhomZilla said:
Depending on the individual fish. Most Ps are skittish when young, after about 5" they get used to their surroundings in the tank as well as the activity outside the tank. Try reducing decors and/or turning up the heat in tha tank.
How high? I read in the Saved Topics about turning up to 85 but I didn't know if that was healthy for the piranhas.

·
Go Bucks!
3,074 Posts
My reds as they are getting bigger (about 5"now) have become less skittish. They still will run into things if you move quick around the tank, or if you are working in the tank.

As for temp I keep my tanks around 80. You can go higher then 80 and the reds will still be ok.

·
rhombeus
3,200 Posts
Judazzz said:
I have my reds about a year now (well one of them, the others since june last year), and they're not skittish anymore.
But they still dart around frantically when they get spooked: and getting spooked is a redbelly's second nature, so it seems
Nothing you can do about it: it's survival instinct!
i agree with judazzz i just try to stick to a routine!! if you do things the same hopefully the will catch on in due time.

·
Beautiful One
8,136 Posts
How would turning up the temp make the p's less skittish?

·
Registered
19,249 Posts
Turning up the temperature generally makes them more aggressive. You have to give us a few more details on your setup. Do you have bright lights on your tank? Is your tank in a place were a lot of foot traffic is?

·
Go Bucks!
3,074 Posts
Cypher said:
Why is having only two P's a bad thing? They are about 7".
Well since you have a mix of fish in your tank it maybe helping with the 2 P problem. Generally 2 P's are bad because one will become dominant and will make life miserable for the other. If you have 3 or more that aggression is spread out over more fish.

·
Captain Britannia
4,605 Posts
just spend loads of time with them to get them used to you it may take time but it may not depend on the fishes temprement
turn down the lights as they dont like bright light and give them a routine .add a timer to your lights feed at @ the same time every feed they will become more used to your presence but will still get spooked its in their nature
dixon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.