Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do Younger's Rhom, always hide or sits in the corner without moving and the Big guy that is 15 in. never hide and cruise in the tank?

Like "rchan11" said in another thread, Rhoms are ambush hunters and they will hide and stalk its prey.

So if the big Rhom had some place to ambush they will do it, but in the majority of the tank, they have less space, proportionnel of is size, then the younger Rhom.

So if you do the math:
compare a 3in. with a 15in. he is not only 5 time bigger becose of the lenght, but the girth is realy bigger.

I will keep the same proportion
3 in long and 4 in of girth = 0.06 pounds
15 in long and 20 in of girth = 7.5 pounds

So the 15 in rhom is 125 time more massive

a 3 in. rhom in a tank 33g
to have the same proportion the 15 in rhom should be in a 4125g

In conclusion, if you put your 15in rhom in a 4000gallon tank, he will also hide behind something to wait for his prey. So the big rhom in our tank are not "not skittish" they just don't have room to hide.

· what up NINJA
4,104 Posts
I guess it'd depend on what your setup is like, how long you've had the baby, and the fact that the baby is still just a baby and hiding is a definite way to survive. I dont' think the proportioinal theory holds much water (pardon the pun). I think eventually your small rhom will grow some balls.

· Skankzilla
16,305 Posts
Not sure man, I have a full size Serra that swims back and forth in the front of the tank, sits in the front of the tank and rarely hides. I also just got him 2 days ago and has killed everything in the tank. So just imagine when he gets settled in.

· Danse Macabre!
9,834 Posts
Yeah I have, I don't remember seeing anything about ambush hunting there, and when I searched the rhom page it didn't bring up any match for "ambush" and "hunt" only brought out

The species is almost always solitary in contrast with the true piranhas, prefering to hunt and travel alone
If a fish hunts I read it as actively swimming around looking to eat, not hiding in ambush, but like I said I haven't seen the part you're referring to. Got a link or quote?

· Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
elTwitcho said:
Where did you hear that rhoms were ambush hunters?
[snapback]826479[/snapback]​
I read that somewhere on the forum + on some site and I was realy thinking that Rhom was some ambush hunters. It make sence, so I came out with that theory.

BTW my rhom also swin in front of the glass, becose where do you want him to go in a 75G.
and he associate me and the food, so that's why is not hidding and waiting for a fish to pass. He know that if i'm not near the tank there's no food in the tank.

· what up NINJA
4,104 Posts
click the link I put up there.

I watched that show w/ nigel. It had video documentation of a juvy rhom "ambushing" a pacu. That kinda explains why newbies w/ rhoms (especially juvyies) get dissappointed by thier fish.
Pygos do more "scouting" before taking over a group or individual, pack hunting like wolves or almost like hyenas waiting for a week fish to swim by or be left behind.

I'm not trying to argue, just pointing out a fact i've learned by reading a lot of information on this site, primarily from frank and opefe.

· Registered
162 Posts
I just so happen to be one of the lucky baby rhom owners that fish tries to bite my head clean off. It's been going crazy as hell lately. He's on top of the entertainment center looking over the whole room, anyone walks past he's attacking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.