Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Why are most skateboarders skinny? I mean I skateboard and I am muscular. I weight lift 3-4 times a week. And try to skateboard everyday , and play soccer. So is there any other skateboarders around who can tell me why most pro skaters are skinny? OR maybe all are skinny, (i'm not sure.) But if your built, etc. it won't hold you back from going pro. What do you think>??

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
I can think of 2 reasons....I am not a skateboarder..

Skinny == light == more air!

and skateboarding provides such a good workout that usually the people remain skinny.

·
.pocketful of sunshine.
16,831 Posts
Basically what X said...but pretty much if you think about it, the lighter you are the more mobility you have to do tricks. Most of the skaters around here dont usually lift weights...which is why they remain skinny. Plus, the aerodynamics of things...if someone is skinny, theyre gonna be able to go faster on the board because there is less resistance, than persay a person who is built. Just my opinion, I could be wrong..but thats how I look at it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still think I can be a good skateboarder if I am buff too though. More leg power will give you more air too. I would see how it would effect me if I weighed 275 lbs+. But when I get older I know I won't weigh that much.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The reason why most skaters are skinny is because they skate all the time (which is good arobic excersize and keeps people thin) and because they skate because they are not "buff" enough to join other sports. They pick up a skateboard and go out with their oher non buff friends to have a good time. It makes them feel like they fit in. Thats why i started skating about 3 years ago. It has nothing to do with weight.

Also, while most pros are skinny, there are some out there that are super buff like chad muska, kareem cambell, and P.J. Ladd

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am good at soccer, weight lifting, and basketball. I also love skateboarding because it makes me feel free. I also love doing tricks and ollieing over pic nic tables etc, having contests with friends to see whose the best. So weight has nothing to do with it. So I can skate and be buff too than right. SO my point is, I can play other sports and skateboard at the same time.

·
Registered
829 Posts
bgshortys said:
The reason why most skaters are skinny is because they skate all the time (which is good arobic excersize and keeps people thin) and because they skate because they are not "buff" enough to join other sports. They pick up a skateboard and go out with their oher non buff friends to have a good time. It makes them feel like they fit in. Thats why i started skating about 3 years ago. It has nothing to do with weight.

Also, while most pros are skinny, there are some out there that are super buff like chad muska, kareem cambell, and P.J. Ladd
yep

and "true" skaters dont have time to lift weights or play other sports, cause they are out SKATING!!!
girls will get the boot too!!!

i used to skate like mad in my prime... i'm a little older now (27) and my ankles and knees dont agree with me anymore...
(

been out of it a couple years, and i'm still a skinny f*cker, but i think my metabolism has more to do with then anything else!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol.

"True" skaters dont skate 24/7 they need to take a break. They skate about 10 hours a day, but you can still find time to do other things.+

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
most extreme sport athletes are, motocrossers, skaters, bmxers, extreme sports in general are very demanding so you burn alot of calories so that helps, and the fact the Mike mentioned about lighter you are the higher you can go

I speak from experience I raced motocross for about 6 years and did bmx prior to that

·
Beautiful One
12,070 Posts
acidsurvivor said:
I still think I can be a good skateboarder if I am buff too though. More leg power will give you more air too. I would see how it would effect me if I weighed 275 lbs+. But when I get older I know I won't weigh that much.
Here is the thing dude my brother is like 200lbs and he skates all the time he can do some tricks, it has to do with your cordination, if you are skinnier you are lighter so then you can get some mad air. I have seen a lot of skaters that lift weights and they are hella good. It is all on your cordination and practicing. If you want mad air it will take a lot more skill to achieve this and being skinnier helps so you can lose a couple of pounds. I don't skate because I tend to hurt myself quite often, I do ride around here or there, I always wanted to be a pro but I am lucky if I can do a trick here and there. Don't get discouraged and keep skating.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Look up hasoi. He was not that skinny. There were some skaters that were midsized. But think of this take tony hawk and give him 100 lbs of muscle. He could not do a mc twist or a 700. You are not that limber when you got all that mass. He whould still be good. But no tony hawk.
I skated for 10 years and know a little.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i use to do skateboard, aggressive inline and BMX. i dont know most of the skaters were skinny, but the reason i stayed skinny was because i was always on the move, doin tricks and grinds. marine boy, use to bmx with me as well, but he wasn't skinny, he was a built guy, stood 5'7 weighing something like 180, but he could do some whack bmx stunts.

so to answer your question of why the majority of skateboarders are skinny is because they just are, and they're always on the move

-james

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
yeah unlike some of us whos idea of fun is staring at fish and surfing the net and watching tv and whatever the hell else, skateboarders actually get regular physical exercise

·
Registered
491 Posts
honestly, it's not that big of a deal. There are no rules that say you can't skate if you have muscles. Thats the whole point of skating... there are no rules

It's just a sterotype like everything else in the world like white man can't jump, all ******** want their brother/sister, and people who get good grades are dorks. Those are just examples.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.