Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The terns I am looking to Aquite are going to be 10-12". Could I put three of them in 75. By the 20G per fish rule I should be ok, but still wanted to check.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
that does fit the 20g a fish rule, but those are some BIG ternz!

thats minimum 30" of fish!

you might be able to pull it off, but they would be much happier in a larger tank. just my opinion

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
Terns seem to demand alot of territory. I don't see it working out. I would go at least 110 long.

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
JesseD said:
IMO: once fish reach a size like that the whole 20g per fish thing goes out the window.
I pretty much agree. I don't take much stock in that formula anyway.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Would 2 of them be a bad scene? Or would they get along well, if fed well? And Maybe 2 With a 6-7" red. Would that help out for fighting? Or go with 1 Big tern and 2 reds or something. What would be a good mix? Keeping in mind I am not going bigger than a 75g for this setup.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
YOu can house 3 Ternz in a 75 gal that big. They will not/wont ever get to their potential growth size, but will accustom to the tank space they are given (stunt their growth). 2 would most def be fatal for they will try and dominate each other which may result in death to one. Best deal is to upgrade a tank or not get the Ternz at all...

BTW: Where are you getting huge Ternz??

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want a Different Shoaling fish, other Than What I got. The rhom just doesn't work for me. Unfortunatly the selction in canada is rather limited. How Bout a mixed shoal. One big Terns with say A red, A piraya or a Caribe. I already have the caribe, and I can get A piraya the same size as the Caribe. The prob is the Caribe are only 7", would it work? So are the reds too.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Where are u getting the big Terns??. I've learned from my Caribe the bigger they are the more room they need, that's why i only have 4 pygo's in my 125.

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
RhomZilla said:
YOu can house 3 Ternz in a 75 gal that big. They will not/wont ever get to their potential growth size, but will accustom to the tank space they are given
Not necessarily. I've kept them that big. They definitely demand their space. Plus, they won't hit their max size in captivity anyway.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am getting them From Oliver at Belowwater, that Murphy fellow doesn't ever return his messages. His loss. AS for the Tank, would 3 be ok? OR should I mix and Match?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I kept 2 large 12 inch Terns togeather but they were in a much larger tank and were also mixed in with large Cariba and Piraya.I wouldn't keep 3 in a 75 or two for that matter.Two will just quarrel and 3 is just to much for a 75 gallon at their size and agressiveness.You could however get away with 3 smaller terns say 6 inches or so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts