Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a new large piece of driftwood. it has a piece of slate attached to it but that does nothing to keep it down.
because of it's shape i have to use 2 rocks just to keep it at the bottom. so i was wondering if anyone knew of a better way to keep it at the bottom other than attaching it to the glass.

·
LionHart
13,099 Posts
If it's small enough to fit into a pan and boil... then boil the hell out of it.

I've got 6 big pieces of bogwood in my jacuzzi tub in my master bath right now... finally sunk and now I'm gonna put 'em in my tank tonight.

Boiling really does the job though.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
i believe in diy section there is a detaile artical about screwing it to a large piece of plexiglass and letting your substrate hold it down then you get a nice effect of random bubbles coming out of it for sometimes weeks

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
i believe in diy section there is a detaile artical about screwing it to a large piece of plexiglass and letting your substrate hold it down then you get a nice effect of random bubbles coming out of it for sometimes weeks
not to sure if he wants to make a big project out of it.....if it can fit in a pan or something man boil that thing....it will kind of "loosen" the wood i guess you can say so the water can soak it harder, and makes it able to sink

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya i would boil it but it's like 2 1/2 feet long by about a foot high. with three pieces coming out of it and i have never seen a pot that could hold anything that big and i don't have a jacuzzi. wish i did after a long day of snowboarding
i will try the plexi glass but does anyone else have any suggestions???

·
Registered
516 Posts
Get a piece of slate drill holes into it, and attach the driftwood with string or wire or fishing line or whatever, and bury the slate in your substrate and it looks natural....

·
LionHart
13,099 Posts
Bear in mind that the jacuzzi to which I refer is my jacuzzi tub in my master bath... NOT my HOTTUB!

There's no chemicals in my jacuzzi tub... just good ol' H20.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The method i'm using right now and it seems to be working just fine is to find a cooler big enough to fit the driftwood peice in. Just fillt it up with boiling water and keep it shut. The heat will hold for several hours even over night. You will want to change the water though if you start getting the yellowy tannin leaking out. This will also help to keep it from seeping into your tank. you might need to use some weight or rocks to hold the wood under the water for the first day or so of "cooler-boiling." AND MAKE SURE TO CLOSE THE DRAIN PLUG AFTER YOU DRAIN THE OLD WATER BEFORE YOU FILL IT BACK UP. I forgot to twice and filled my kitchen floor with boiling water.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
lol what i did so sink mine was get stainless steel screws and slate drill a whole in the slate and used the screws to attach the two. drop it in my tank used two rocks to weight it down and b4 i new it the driftwood sank still attached to the slate but its under my substrate so u cant tell its even there

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.