Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the luxury of meeting Frank this weekend. A great guy. I'll be posting pics and story of my experience later when I have some free time to dedicate. So before I get off subject I want to let you all know that when I was down there I was looking at his set up with a rhom and altuvei in a tank separated by plexiglass and was observing the altuvei and said to myself...hey, thats my piranha. That looks just like Mickey. Luckily I had my digi cam with me with a few pics of Mickey and I showed them to Frank and he concurred it most likely if not positively is altuvei. He goes on to tell me I'm lucky as they're very rare find. I'm pleased with Mickey and will be keeping him despite thinkin I had purchased a rhom.

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,893 Posts
rosecityrhom said:
I got the luxury of meeting Frank this weekend. A great guy. I'll be posting pics and story of my experience later when I have some free time to dedicate. So before I get off subject I want to let you all know that when I was down there I was looking at his set up with a rhom and altuvei in a tank separated by plexiglass and was observing the altuvei and said to myself...hey, thats my piranha. That looks just like Mickey. Luckily I had my digi cam with me with a few pics of Mickey and I showed them to Frank and he concurred it most likely if not positively is altuvei. He goes on to tell me I'm lucky as they're very rare find. I'm pleased with Mickey and will be keeping him despite thinkin I had purchased a rhom.
Rhoms are fun, some day i shall have one.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My GF is gonna buy me a 6-7" Rhom from Fishpost probably sometime next week. I need to make sure I can be there when he arrives.

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,893 Posts
wow, great deal! my gf wont buy me fish stuff, cuz she thinks fish are for eating not pets, thats why my tanks are locked.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Thats pertty cool. How big is your Altuvei? And I thought I had the most recent Frank confirmed Altuvei. Frank said that he thought mine was too, he is about 7 inches maybe a little more. They grow really slow. I have him in a 65 all by himself. Had him for about 9 moths now and maybe he has grown an inch. THey have pretty much the same growth pattern as rhoms. Pretty nice looking fish, nice silver color.

Here is a pic of mine:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems that a lot of people recommend purchasing from fishpost.com. My gf is going to buy me a 6-7 incher from Ron there. Any recommendations on shipping companies? I had Mickey send Airborne Express and had no problems but wanted to see what everyone else has done and success rate of them.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
I got the luxury of meeting Frank this weekend. A great guy. I'll be posting pics and story of my experience later when I have some free time to dedicate.
Thank you for the compliment. I hope the photo of the small preserved S. altuvei your girl friend was holding came out ok. Should raise a few eyebrows (not about your girl friend, but the fish size).

·
Bean Power!
8,912 Posts
rosecityrhom said:
It seems that a lot of people recommend purchasing from fishpost.com. My gf is going to buy me a 6-7 incher from Ron there. Any recommendations on shipping companies? I had Mickey send Airborne Express and had no problems but wanted to see what everyone else has done and success rate of them.
Fed-Ex has always done me well. A little more expensive but their arrival times are more precise plus they show up at your door.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll see what Ron at Fishpost thinks the best option for shipping would be since I live a full coast away. AirBorne Express came right to my door with my package at precisely 10:30am the next day. i was pretty impressed. They were very spendy for shipping though. But I believe its worth the money to get a live fish the first time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts