Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if i just have a shy piranha....cus all it does is chill in the back of my tank and no matter what i have done it doesnt hardly do anything. ive hardly ever seen it eat. ive dimmed my light, added plants, wood, floating plants, and it still doesnt do much. just wondering if there is anything else i can do? its in a 28 gal, its 5 inchs, and ive had it since it was small enough to eat brine shrimp.

· DOC#003162
13,889 Posts
not sure of the foot print to a 28 but it sound like its gettin to small for a five inch

piranha. is gettin a bigger tank and two more pygos out of the question??

cause some buddies and more swimmin room would probably work out nicely

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actually he is about 3inchs, (my bad) but there seems to be alot of room in the tank and ive had him for about 9 months, and i do plan on upsizing the tank soon. but you think if i put in a couple more pygos it would make em a little bit more active?

· DOC#003162
13,889 Posts
Astrocreep said:
actually he is about 3inchs, (my bad) but there seems to be alot of room in the tank and ive had him for about 9 months, and i do plan on upsizing the tank soon. but you think if i put in a couple more pygos it would make em a little bit more active?
[snapback]866650[/snapback]​
very well could help the activity in your tank, pygos seem to feel more comfortable

in a group, but i wouldnt expect a whole lot cause they will still just chill out in

there spot sometimes. what are you plans for tank size when you up grade??

· Registered
7,229 Posts
Astrocreep said:
what size powerhead would work for my tank? i thought about it bfore but i never bought one
[snapback]866704[/snapback]​
Since it's a 28g, get the smallest one available and make sure you've a dead spot or 2 for him to rest.

· Danse Macabre!
9,834 Posts
Honestly, in part it sounds like you're just doing too much sh*t at once and not giving him time to adapt. Changing the lighting, adding plants, moving plants, changing this, changing that is all new sh*t he has to become accustomed too. Each time you're changing something you're starting a new period where he's going to be stressed out and not comfortable. Give it some time, and look into a 40 breeder (36 x 18 footprint) instead of a 55 gallon, it's a much more appropriate tank for piranhas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.