Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt know where this should go since its not really a question about the live plants but anyways which do you have and which do you think are better? I think the live plant look is great but at the same time I dont want to have to worry about them. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I use all live plants in 2 of my tanks and fake in the other. I like the live better because of they way they look and the huge variety of aquatic plants. There is maintenace required but all dependent on how much light you have and what type of plants you plan on keeping. Hope this helps

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I am a big fan of live plants... you do need to be dedicated to it though if you really want them to grow and flourish.

They make some very very realistic fake plants now though and I have seen some great looking setups with just all fake plants.

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
I am a big fan of live plants... you do need to be dedicated to it though if you really want them to grow and flourish.

They make some very very realistic fake plants now though and I have seen some great looking setups with just all fake plants.
yea!..i never use fake plants....but if you dont know how to take care of the live plants then go with fake plants.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts

yea!..i never use fake plants....but if you dont know how to take care of the live plants then go with fake plants.
[/quote]

yuppers..i had a couple live before, didnt know nothing about them, they survived til i took them out...maybe in the future when im more for a show tank type thing ill add some live ones...til then, fakes fine with me

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
go with live plants man. if your worried about taking care of them get a simple plant like a sword, vals, crypts, java moss, java ferns or hornwort. im not a pro but I'm pretty sure that those are some of the easiest plants to take care of.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Humper,

If you have big carnivore fishes in your tank, take my advice for easier way to learn and enjoy the live plants. Believe me I used the "not so easy" method.

First (before plants) buy a decent lighting for the tank.

If your tank is not higher than 18-20", you can use regular fluorescent bulbs (T8, 5.000-7.000 Kelvin, bright sunlight) and about 1,5 watts per gallon. With that setup you can choose any plant you like.
But only if you buy a pressurized carbon dioxide (CO2) system for them. You know CO2 is the most important thing the plants need with light. They will not grow well without them. A balanced mineral fertilization of course makes things run very well, but that is not even nearly so important than light and CO2. But of course, start by using some combined stuff like Seachem Flourish Comprehensive. With big fishes you will never have to worry about having too little nitrates and phosphates.

If your tank is 24" or more high, you should consider metal halide bulbs and about 2-3 watts per gallon.
Of course pressurized CO2 is a must then, but also a balanced regular fertilization. You may also need to dose macros like Potasiium nitrate (KNO3) from time to time.

For further help on plant issues do post to Plant Forum and to DiPpY. He will help you and you will save a lot of time and disappointment.

Go for it.

Harry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.