Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Your Kung Fu is No Good Here...
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to ps, ive had 2 3" ps for a couple of weeks now. After doing some reading on this forum Ive heard that two in a tank is not a good idea. While mine have been fine so far, should I add a third?

Usually this would be an obvious yes i suppose, but i currently have very limited space. They are in a 20gal right now, which trust me I know is WAY too small, but it is just temporary while they are smaller. Within the next 2-3 months MAX ill be buying a 125gal to move them into.

With that in mind, should i go for the third or will that be too crouded for the next couple months? thanks on advance for the help!

-Mike

·
Registered
818 Posts
people on here will tell you different things. i had three and one was eaten. i now have two which seem to get on fine...... for now.
depends on personality of fish etc etc etc....

i would keep the two for now and when u upgrade get a third or even another two. this would allow for 31g per fish in a 125g tank.

·
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds good, thanks guys. My plan had always been to start with the two, then when I upgrade in a couple months add a couple more, either 2 or 3 more. So ill stick with that plan. Thanks again.

-Mike

·
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, they had been getting along. Over the past two days Ive noticed a little "animosity" where they are chasing eachother a little bit, actually oddly enough the smaller of the two is chasing the larger one, who has almost an inch on him right now. Im sure its not a big deal, but would adding a third keep the fighting between them down, or just mix things up more?

Its not a severe case, just mild chasing right now, but I want to fix the problem before it starts if you guys think Im going to have one (a problem).

Thanks again guys.

-Mike

·
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, they had been getting along. Over the past two days Ive noticed a little "animosity" where they are chasing eachother a little bit, actually oddly enough the smaller of the two is chasing the larger one, who has almost an inch on him right now. Im sure its not a big deal, but would adding a third keep the fighting between them down, or just mix things up more?

Its not a severe case, just mild chasing right now, but I want to fix the problem before it starts if you guys think Im going to have one (a problem).

Thanks again guys.

-Mike

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
It is normal for chasing and fin nipping to occur but if you see or notice some serious bites you should separate the two

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I would just keep the two for now for they are not really violent toward each other at the moment...if you add another you risk the possibility of fighting for territory.

If you are woried about the current fin nipping that is going on in your tank try to add dither fish. I would add some giant danios they are pretty quick, but just realize that on day they might be gone. Sooner or later (hopefully the later)

Oh yea, and definately upgrade to the 125 gallon asap...i know that money is always an issue, so start saving your pennies. good luck

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
hastatus said:
1. Pygo's can't count.

2. Territorial disputes whether its 2 or more happen. Suggest you do some rearranging and a water change before introducing a new fish. Certainly feed them well before such introduction.
[snapback]948672[/snapback]​
Good point as always. I've had 4 RBP's in a 55 for about 8 months they are about 5"-6", a few nips here and there but nothing serious and they are a vicious pack but I wouldn't add another P to your 20 gallon aside from territory that would be a rack of bio load...but again alot of people on this board live for telling people what to do and get pissed if they go against it, shitting bricks over some guy putting 3 P's in a 20 gallon isn't a thing I care for. So anyways, do what you want, its your money, and your fish, bro.

·
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. They seem pretty content for now. Id rather not risk the overcrouding, which hopefully wont be a problem, as Ill be getting the new tank within the next month or two. For now Im sticking with the two, I may try Killerbee's suggestion, just to give them something to chase around when theyre bored, as they get all shrimp and previously killed fish, so they dont get the excitement of chasing something around from time to time. I keep them well fed so I dont anticipate too much of a problem regarding them injuring eachother. Thanks for the help guys.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
ESPMike said:
Thanks everyone. They seem pretty content for now. Id rather not risk the overcrouding, which hopefully wont be a problem, as Ill be getting the new tank within the next month or two. For now Im sticking with the two, I may try Killerbee's suggestion, just to give them something to chase around when theyre bored, as they get all shrimp and previously killed fish, so they dont get the excitement of chasing something around from time to time. I keep them well fed so I dont anticipate too much of a problem regarding them injuring eachother. Thanks for the help guys.

-Mike
[snapback]948994[/snapback]​
Awesome glad i could help with an idea, i have my 4 5-6" p's in a 115ltr (TEMP) with seven giant danios and no casualties thus far *crosses fingers* (if u want to see pics of temp tank , check out link in sig) good luck

Also, definately listen to Frank when adding companions at a later date. He knows his sh*t

·
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I put two danios in there, and so far its working great!
The ps are chasing them all over the tank, but havent caught one as of yet. Theyre leaving eachother alone, and even teaming up to catch the danios. Thanks alot for the help!

killerbee said:
[snapback]948994[/snapback]​
Also, definately listen to Frank when adding companions at a later date. He knows his sh*t

[snapback]951265[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I will do that. I cant wait in the next month or so to get the bigger tank and add some more RBPs to try and get a decent shoal going. For when that time comes, who is Frank? ie what is his sn on here?

Thanks again for all the help! This board rocks!

-Mike

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Glad i could help and i'm happy its working out for you. I have grown attached to those little guys, i hope my p's will live in peace with them, maybe they will....maybe they won't we will see. It would not supprise me if not.
anyways,

Frank = hastatus (sn) he is a piranha hobbyist god

Don't forget to cycle the new tank once u get it in the future, if i can help with anything PM me.
Laterz,
EC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts