Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, i have a 150 gallon, with 3 ac 110's. ive never had a problem with my water, but lately its been just a little cloudy, im guessing its because my snakeheads are getting huge and producing lots of waste.

i already have a 802 pump, so i was thinkin maybe just buy a couple Hydro Sponge V's put one on either end of the aquarium, and let it be, those things house boatloads of bacteria, and i think in addition to my ac's would provide tons of filtration, and be 1\10th of the cost of buying a canister to add on.

they dont look terrible, and adding a little more air into the water is never a bad idea. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you don't mind how it looks, try it. They are pretty cheap and they would help. What about adding an air stone to the AC to increase O2 to the bacteria. There are also some new bio replacement cartridges the are plastic with ridges to house more bacteria. Haven't tried it yet, but it looked like a good idea.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
In all honesty, in my opinion it is more of a temporary fix more than anything. Those sponge filters are just like undergravel filters, stuff just gets stuck around them and rots away unless you plan on cleaning the area around them a lot. I would say just say up the money and get another good sized filter... you can get an XP3 for $100 or less now if you search around online and they are pretty good filters in my opinion and do a great job keeping a tank clean.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hrmm, yea i suppose. ill keep my eye out for a used one, i really want to go wet \ dry, but its just so much damn money

·
Registered
737 Posts
Then build your own sump. You already have enough mechanical filtration. Very inexpensive and very effective.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i gotta make it very customized to fit in my stand, and its only going to be about a 30 gallon tank. then i was going to get a mag 12 for about 1200 gph, figured that would be plenty. but i mean, i gotta get an overflow, all my piping, the pump, and the tank. its gunna cost me like $600 to do it

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
I know a couple people who use those sponge filters and they love them. It's not the prettiest thing you've ever seen but they are super effective. And I disagree with them being the same as an ug filter - they can actually be cleaned/replaced, and at a minimal cost.

I'm not a fan of any rena filter systems. I don't know why. But I find the XP3 severely over promises and under delivers by a ton. It's at the low end of my cannister filter chart with Eheim being at the top and Fluval lodging in at a solid second.

I'd say if you're planning to go wet/dry and don't want to invest a ton just get the sponges for now and work on getting the rest done over time. It'll be good for the time being at least and won't be a major expense.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
already done. i got a Hydro sponge V in there. it will be good. my ac 110's offer tons of mechanical but minimal biological i think now i have this it will be a nice balance. and i dont even mind it, its behind my powerhead and by my heater.

one thing im not sure about, i have an elite 802 air pump this provides 1500 cfm, is this enough to run this big filter? i got an air stone on it, tons of bubbles. but ive seen air pumps at like 3500 cfm, so i dont know. anyone know about this?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Not sure about the air flow thing, but keep us posted on how the sponge works out for ya.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i talked to a guy at a lfs who had about 60 sponges set up, he said to much air, and it doesnt even allow the water to flow in through the sponge between the bubbles. he said your way better off using not enough air than to much. i have a steady flow, so im just going to leave it. its 1500cc. so it cant be that bad.

and so far, my tank already isnt as cloudy as it was,

·
Registered
737 Posts
Gotcha. I turn up the air until there is a good roll at the surface without it going crazy and leave it at that.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i found a T for my air lines, so now i am using both sides of my 802 pump, probabaly close to 2500cc's or maybe a bit more, there is a lot more air pumping through, but not to much, it works good.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i found a T for my air lines, so now i am using both sides of my 802 pump, probabaly close to 2500cc's or maybe a bit more, there is a lot more air pumping through, but not to much, it works good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts