Piranhas Forum banner

Shoals

864 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Mr. Hannibal 
#1 ·
I have had a 3 1/2 inch rbp in a 55 by himself for about 2 months, I felt that he needed some company, so I just today recieved in 2 more 3" from Pedro, I am wondering how long it takes for them to team up at all, my 3 1/2" seems to just want to chase them and nip at them, will they team up and start smoking feeders together, or do they just learn to tolerate eachother?

#2 ·
It sounds like you did not get rid of the established territory of the 3.5" dude. When introducing new p's, if there is a problem like you are having, I do a water change and mix up the decor to get rid of the established territories. This has worked for me numerious times.

#3 ·
grosse gurke said:
It sounds like you did not get rid of the established territory of the 3.5" dude. When introducing new p's, if there is a problem like you are having, I do a water change and mix up the decor to get rid of the established territories. This has worked for me numerious times.
I agree I would change the surroundings a little then watch them.

#4 ·
Thanks guys, I have a large aquatic gardens stump in there that my 3 1/2 hides under all of the time, so I took that out of there, and now he seems to be accepting the other guys and they're just swimming around together. At some point can I reintroduce that stump in the tank, and not have him break off and reterritorialize the place? I like the stump, it really ties the room together, so I'd like to put that baby back in there.

#6 ·
You'll also get a daily dose of fighting amongst each other to establish dominance, plus they basically hang spearately in their own territory form time to time. BUt when feeding time is around, thats when they shoal together more. Shoaling is a natural instinct borned with these RBs

#7 ·
Depends of Ps. temperament...sometimes at first day together, sometimes it takes a lot more...always after stablish the pecking order and solve territorial disputes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.