Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all, I have a 6.5 elong and a 5" divided, i was thinking should i lift the divide redecorate the tank(big ship for elong to hid if the 6.5"er goes to crazy. i know its small, the tank is jewel 180, i am selling (£45)the 5" er and have had a few calls but nothing solid, i don't understand as its a nice looking and aggressive elong, attacks a toy plastic whale i brought from the sea life center and is feeding well(1 prawn per day).I don't want to sell it but i only have 2 tank the rhoms tank(5ft) and the jewel 180 just over 3ft-i think.

Rampage

Wood Artifact Beige Art Landscape Wood Landscape Vehicle Pattern Roof

6.5"

Water Vertebrate Fin Pet supply Underwater Eye Marine biology Fish Fin Ray-finned fish 5"

Attachments

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
never......i would never shoal elongs man, its just not meant to be...if you lifted it sure they might get along for a min, 30min, hour...who knows...then you'd probably end up with a dead beautiful elong....NOT WORTH IT imo....but its totally up to you, i wouldnt recommend it tho

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
Not worth trying man. Save your money, save your fish. Someone will buy the fish if you want to sell it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hiya all, your right they are both nice fish and if i lift the divide the chances are the 6.5"er would kill the 5"er instantly, i'm baseing this on the way he eats and take his food and the aggression he shows to me and the divide. Worst case i'll leave things as they are until i get another tank(try to borrow my mates) or until i sell him.
Thanks everyone for changing my mind, if i had lifted the divide i would have lost a nice fish.
Rampage

·
Innes is da Man!
5,907 Posts
if you like having elongs, dont dare lift that divider, mean mean fights

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
jesus man.....you gave your P a toy plastic whale from seaworld to chew on? LOL!!! WTF?

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
I'm going to move this to a more appropriate forum for you, where you might get better, more educated responses.

*Topic Moved to Serrasalmus Ecosystems Forum*

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
no good man

·
Offical P-Fury Ex-communicant
6,712 Posts
I dont suggest trying this with adult sized elongs. Maybe several 2"ers in a tank no smaller than a standard 125 footprint.

·
Wavy
12,078 Posts
how do elongs act in the wild? are the fin nippers too? youd think with there streamlined body shape though that theyd be more full out predetors...
...yeah i would try it

edit: wouldnt*****

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
First of all, even pygos don't "Shoal."
They "Coexist in groups" begrudgingly.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts

first of all, pygos shoal. dont you watch animal planet or anything? and second i wouldnt put 2 elongs in the same tank without a divider

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
QUOTE(Piranha_man @ Jan 17 2007, 07:57 AM)

Actualy....I am going to have to agree that the just group....not shoal. Fish that shoal are constantly up eachothers ass's. Always together. They tend to just tolerate eachother. They only shoal when they feel threatened, or scared. IMO...I would call it a group if you want to get downright technical about it. Shoaling is just a more widely used term.

first of all, pygos shoal. dont you watch animal planet or anything? and second i wouldnt put 2 elongs in the same tank without a divider

·
Registered
750 Posts

[/quote]

-cosign-

I definetly agree, pygos most certainly do shoal. That's why solitary red bellys won't eat in front of you and are so shy until they reach a good size (unless they were shoaled most of their life), they are used to relying on each other and hunting in packs. Why do you think they sometimes call them water wolves of woves of the water?

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts

[/quote]
Everyone is describing their behavior in the wild....that doesnt mean they behave the same way in a tank. I would not consider pygos in a tank shoaling fish...I would say they tolerate each other.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Jot this down as the worst idea you have ever had.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Jot this down as the worst idea you have ever had.
Really? I actually think it could be done with the right fish and setup....the trick is finding the right fish and giving them the proper setup. I think that the reputation of elongatus aggression is somewhat overrated.

Just my opinion though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts